Cross member

The Fourth Amigo

Apr 20, 2009
I once briefly drove my DII without the front cross-member in place. I could immediately feel the difference. Wouldn't do it again.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
When I pull the oil pan I always just unbolt the tie rod from one side to get it out of the way.

How do you get it out without pulling one of the two, Will?

The Fourth Amigo

Apr 20, 2009
I have always just unbolted the cross-member and its always been a struggle. Never crossed my mind to let go the steering...........

gthphotography

Aug 27, 2008
chicago
www.greghanrahan.com
Yes, I have zero clearance under there. Truck is on jack stands. There are 4 things in the way
1-crossmember
2-tie rod
3-prop shaft
4-exhaust

It's been cut out.
All the bolts are rounded. Too small for a 10mm, to big for a 9mm and the SAE sockets the same.
And I got the pulley off by starting the truck with the breaker bar attached. It was so cool!
I'll put a new one on if I feel anything weird, but I still need to remove the bolted on pieces.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Bummer you had to cut it out, there are tools and tricks for getting those bolts out. Fortunately you can probably get a replacement crossmember for next to nothing.

To get the bolts out (they will break), you need one of those 'turbo' sockets. Once you snap the heads off the bolts use a punch and hammer to break the welded nuts off the frame side. Then you can just reinstall the crossmember with nuts and bolts.

best4x4

Mar 1, 2015
Beaumont, TX
Look in the weeds by my house and you'll find several laying there.

I worked on one D2 from up north and it took me like 2hr to remove the darn thing with extractors. Those bolts are pretty soft and they'll either snap or round the heads. I "was" going to re-install it, but some of the threads were jacked up so vs drilling/tapping it got tossed into the weeds. D2 felt the exact same on the road as it did before.

I removed it on my 99 with a 3inch lift, as at full drop the drive shaft was slamming into it and I wasn't in the mood for spacers to make it snag on every obstacle.

It's a grey area of some people swear it makes the D2 fall apart & others have zero issues. Sorry you had to cut it off, but you shouldn't have a problem finding a replacement.

gthphotography

Aug 27, 2008
chicago
www.greghanrahan.com
Bummer you had to cut it out, there are tools and tricks for getting those bolts out. Fortunately you can probably get a replacement crossmember for next to nothing.

To get the bolts out (they will break), you need one of those 'turbo' sockets. Once you snap the heads off the bolts use a punch and hammer to break the welded nuts off the frame side. Then you can just reinstall the crossmember with nuts and bolts.

Thank you for the help! I will definitely do that.

Apr 20, 2004
Floyd, Virginia
You can turn it 45 degrees and tilt it out. If the frame is jacked up on the Driver Side. (to the point the wheel begins to come off the ground)
IF you dont want to spend time finding the right spot Jimmy's Idea is a rather quick route as well.

gthphotography

Aug 27, 2008
chicago
www.greghanrahan.com
You can turn it 45 degrees and tilt it out. If the frame is jacked up on the Driver Side. (to the point the wheel begins to come off the ground)
IF you dont want to spend time finding the right spot Jimmy's Idea is a rather quick route as well.

Thanks Will. I appreciate all the help. I plan on putting another cross member in there. I'm actually glad I cut it out as this will force me to repair the faulty bolts and clean up the attachment point. After removing the engine, I did some light house keeping in the engine bay as well.

Apr 20, 2004
Floyd, Virginia
Let me know if you end up replacing. I have 2 Museum Quality Ones here now.. Our Curator might get upset but we are considering dropping the Cross Member Exhibit next month. While the numbers have been impressive we think the Fuel Pump exhibit will be more fun for the kids!!! The numbers will sky rocket with the Annual Easter Lug Nut Hunt coming right around the corner!

gthphotography

Aug 27, 2008
chicago
www.greghanrahan.com
Let me know if you end up replacing. I have 2 Museum Quality Ones here now.. Our Curator might get upset but we are considering dropping the Cross Member Exhibit next month. While the numbers have been impressive we think the Fuel Pump exhibit will be more fun for the kids!!! The numbers will sky rocket with the Annual Easter Lug Nut Hunt coming right around the corner!

lmao
will do
thanks