Spare tire swingaway for Greg Davis bumper?

Jeff Blake

May 6, 2016
Pacific Beach, San Diego
I'd want it to swing out 180* for using the back area as a kitchen.

yep I mentioned wanting to add that. Need some sort of low profile drill or right angle attachment to do it though

How does the door close with that big plate there? It doesn't impinge on the door (maybe the camera angle?)?

I had some scrap aluminum and angle, and whipped up those quick removable tables. Perfect for swapping pots and pans around, and can use them as a campfire pot stand too.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
How does the door close with that big plate there? It doesn't impinge on the door (maybe the camera angle?)?

I was wondering the same thing. From the angle in this pic there's not really even room for the table he installed, let alone those shelf things. I'm curious if he has any "finished" pics??

Jeff Blake

May 6, 2016
Pacific Beach, San Diego
Just bareeely fits. Only tight spot is just below the wiper. It compresses about 1/16" when locked in. I could trim the aluminum angle in that one spot, but I think this might actually work better as-is to prevent rattling

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Actually looks very clean. A couple thin steel strips molded around the lower corners and painted black would dress up the area left over from the removal of the plastic caps.

Jeff Blake

May 6, 2016
Pacific Beach, San Diego
Actually looks very clean. A couple thin steel strips molded around the lower corners and painted black would dress up the area left over from the removal of the plastic caps.

Thanks. "Actually".. haha.

Yep, I was going to have the welder weld on some plates to the bumper for the corners, but we ran out of time that day. I may instead simply get a strip of aluminum and stick it on with 3M VHB tape. Or some rivet nuts on those holes.

Jeff Blake

May 6, 2016
Pacific Beach, San Diego
Update

Carrier survived a weekend of offroading. Never came undone, and never added the pin.

Then of course, I come home, get a car wash, and the carrier flips open on the street, shearing off the t-handle lock-open pin, and putting a good dent in the rear corner body. Was it the water that caused it come off, or did I forget to lock the handle in? We'll never know...

I did some more research on these pull action clamps, and it seems the key is to have them pull over center, i.e. the latch plate needs to be in a perfect right angle to the latch. Mine is not, the latch arm forms a ~110 degree angle when clamped, when it should be 90. The bracket on the bumper is 1/4" thick, and this moves the latch plate too far away from the latch.

The only solution I can think of is to weld on a steel tab/plate to the end of the carrier arm to bring the latch dead over center of the latch.

Back to the welder...