How to be an asshole

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Do this:

1. Drive up to Gallagher Head Lake in the Cascades in a convoy of 8 vehicles (7 Toyotas, 1 Jeep).
2. Drive right past the sign that says no driving on the meadow.
3. Drive all over the meadow and park your entire group on the shore of the lake.
4. Let all your dogs out of the trucks, which then crap right next to the lake, and don't pick it up.
5. When the guy (another Toyota owner, no less) shows up whose campsite you've just driven through to trample the meadow informs you that you're not supposed to be doing that, take offense, tell him it's a "tradition" and that you've seen other people do it.

Apologies for the fuzzy focus on the shot, but you get the idea.

A couple hours later, another camper at the lake told me one of these Toyotas had snapped an axle. Instant karma?

Attachments

• _DSC0120.jpg
    _DSC0120.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 199

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
This is what happens when assholes watch 'Xpedition Overland' on YouTube and think they're entitled to drive their JKU or TRD 4Runner anywhere they please. Many of the good public trails in the southern Appalachians have been closed because of people like this

jhmover

Apr 23, 2004
California
Quote from Reno4x4.com about the Deer Valley Trail.

"Ran Deer Valley yesterday. I know it's closed now because as we were starting the trail a Ranger came in and put up a closed sign. He said someone was doing some off roading in a meadow. When we got to the northern terminus, there was a group of dudes in a jeep with a sniper rifle set up on a shooting mat in a turnout aiming directly back up the road. Two reasons why we can't have nice things I guess."

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
It sucks, but I'd rather see places get closed than have people destroying them.

If it comes to that, I agree. A better outcome is for trail users to help steer the irresponsible few towards better practices so places don't get destroyed or shut down.

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Get clear photographs of each vehicle tag and send it to the authorities. Have seen it work in Colorado.

I agree with this and have done it a few times, but it can also just help get trails closed.