Disco 5: Let the depression set in

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
I want to like it. I really do. Hell, I'm probably the only bonafide Roverhead that likes the Evoke. But I just can't. It's an Explorer. There's simply no way around that fact.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I want to like it. I really do. Hell, I'm probably the only bonafide Roverhead that likes the Evoke. But I just can't. It's an Explorer. There's simply no way around that fact.

I used to feel like the explorer was kinda like a Range Rover Sport. Then I got a good look at the explorer and that thing is a transverse mounted engine.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Right up Dan's alley

lrnewdiscoveryaccessoriestent28091102-489x420.jpg

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
I don't think my lifted D1 with slightly oversized tires could pull this off. At least I don't think so.

M0I9644_1-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqZgEkZX3M936N5BQK4Va8RWtT0gK_6EfZT336f62EI5U.jpg

Judging by the surface under the rear axle in this photo I'd guess that this obstacle was calibrated exactly to match the departure angle of the Discovery. Still, even if it's contrived, it's no mean feat.

Shopping mall kerbs look out!

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
I don't think my lifted D1 with slightly oversized tires could pull this off. At least I don't think so.

M0I9644_1-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqZgEkZX3M936N5BQK4Va8RWtT0gK_6EfZT336f62EI5U.jpg

Judging by the surface under the rear axle in this photo I'd guess that this obstacle was calibrated exactly to match the departure angle of the Discovery. Still, even if it's contrived, it's no mean feat.

Shopping mall kerbs look out!

Its a giant flat rock. Why is that a big deal? Its something jusy about any stock Exterra, FJ Cruiser, 4Runner could do.
And certainly a mildly lifted D1.

JackW

Mar 17, 2005
One of the local Land Rover salesman was out in Tucson last week test driving the new Discovery on some trails that are used by all of the local 4wd clubs. He said a bunch of lifted Jeeps and buggies stopped and watched the fleet of brand new stock Discoverys on street tires run the same trails they were on. He said they all seemed pretty impressed with how they handled the big rock faces they were traversing. Bill said he was pretty impressed with how they did as well and they reminded him a lot of his early days selling the first generation Discoverys when everyone was finding out the trucks were a lot more capable than we all thought they would be.

mgreenspan

Feb 28, 2005
Briggs's Back Yard
No matter what it can do on a dry rock I will never like how that model looks. I like the LR3/4. I even liked the first freelander. Discovery sport and discovery 5 are hideous. One more iteration of the Range Rover and it'll be there, too.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
One of the local Land Rover salesman was out in Tucson last week test driving the new Discovery on some trails that are used by all of the local 4wd clubs. He said a bunch of lifted Jeeps and buggies stopped and watched the fleet of brand new stock Discoverys on street tires run the same trails they were on. He said they all seemed pretty impressed with how they handled the big rock faces they were traversing. Bill said he was pretty impressed with how they did as well and they reminded him a lot of his early days selling the first generation Discoverys when everyone was finding out the trucks were a lot more capable than we all thought they would be.

People are "impressed" with Range Rover Sports driving down a gravel road. You can get just about anything down a trail with enough work.

I've had seasoned Land Rover people who have claimed to owning dozens of various generations tell me that the most recent generation are the most capable. I'll assume they are talking about the obstacles at Land Rover Centres and not actual moderate trails with some mud, large rocks and log crossings. Because I've seen over and over what stock late model Rover products are capable of that's not an "engineered" course for "XYZ" platform. A new 4Runner TRD Off Road would embarrass any current Land Rover model on some actual trails. But then again these two vehicles are designed for two different demographics.

Land Rover is no longer in the business of selling off road vehicles that we all know. It's a lifestyle brand that clings to it's history. Even their commercials are embarrassing.

We've all seen the videos of the guy in a Crown Vic driving around Moab right? Imagine the hard-on some Discovery Sport owner would get. Maybe even some ass play from his boyfriend.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
People are "impressed" with Range Rover Sports driving down a gravel road. You can get just about anything down a trail with enough work.

I've had seasoned Land Rover people who have claimed to owning dozens of various generations tell me that the most recent generation are the most capable. I'll assume they are talking about the obstacles at Land Rover Centres and not actual moderate trails with some mud, large rocks and log crossings. Because I've seen over and over what stock late model Rover products are capable of that's not an "engineered" course for "XYZ" platform. A new 4Runner TRD Off Road would embarrass any current Land Rover model on some actual trails. But then again these two vehicles are designed for two different demographics.

Land Rover is no longer in the business of selling off road vehicles that we all know. It's a lifestyle brand that clings to it's history. Even their commercials are embarrassing.

We've all seen the videos of the guy in a Crown Vic driving around Moab right? Imagine the hard-on some Discovery Sport owner would get. Maybe even some ass play from his boyfriend.

Exactly!!
You mean the commercial where they talk about the "urban jungle"? Or the one where the bridal party heads up a gravel road in a Rover, they hit a bump, guy braces the girl next to him, and she looks at him pure disgust? Classics!

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
Exactly!!
You mean the commercial where they talk about the "urban jungle"? Or the one where the bridal party heads up a gravel road in a Rover, they hit a bump, guy braces the girl next to him, and she looks at him pure disgust? Classics!

There are the more recent ones where the guy is "racing" down some ski slope/mountain. And the one where the douch canoe helps that useless chick with the sled dogs (a bit older). Fuck me. I'm rebadging my D1 as a Honda Crossroad. What's next? Two dudes scissoring in the back seat of a RRS?