Replacing Clutch Master and Slave this weekend

jahmann

Jun 26, 2005
Portland, OR
Hi All, my clutch pedal on my 97 disco hit the floor on the way home from work the other day and I've diagnosed it as a leaky clutch master cylinder. I ordered both the master and slave from AB and am planning on installing them this weekend. I have the workshop manual and have read some write-ups for defenders but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything which brings me to a couple questions I'm hoping someone can help with:

1. Do I need to bench bleed the slave or master before I put them on the vehicle?
2. I've heard that crowfoot wrenches are helpful for this, can anyone confirm that? Do I need any other special tools?

Any other advice? I'm planning on a whole day to replace the two.

thanks in advance.

Hi, all you need is to mount both, and to bleed from slave cylinders plug, with a hose doing a loop over slave cilinders height. Slave cyl. position allows brake fluid to drop whem you open the plug without this care and your bleed will not be succesful. Hope you understand my explanation. Is the only thing not cleared in WM.
Regards

Leadvagas

Jun 10, 2010
Leadville CO
One thing I would recommend. Get a Defender lower pipe and eliminate the "Dampner" it's the round thing the tubing runs into then out the slave cylinder. When the dampner fails it makes your clutch pretty stiff.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
NAS Disco had a damper? Mine doesn't. I think that's a 300 tdi part

I have to vacuum bleed mine. That catalytic converter is in way to do the usual pump/bleed

Leadvagas

Jun 10, 2010
Leadville CO
NAS Disco had a damper? Mine doesn't. I think that's a 300 tdi part

I have to vacuum bleed mine. That catalytic converter is in way to do the usual pump/bleed

I have seen 2 '95 5 speeds that had dampners. Both SD trucks, I just figured it was hit or miss.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
I replaced all that stuff on my 97 and don't remember seeing a different hose for a damper option.

Did those 95s actually say SD on the door and fender? I didn't think they had those designations until late 97, unless the dealer opted out of installing them on the ones I've owned

Leadvagas

Jun 10, 2010
Leadville CO
At least one was SD on the front fender. It was part of the Breckenridge PD fleet, they had about 8 or 9 Disco's from late '95 until '97 or '98. I pulled the fender for a spare when they were junking the truck in '98. A buddy got the 5peed abd 3.9. The other one was a red one from Snowmass Aspen area, it was rattle canned at some point. I helped a past owner put a clutch in it. It most likley came from the LR dealership that was located in Aspen at the time, now in Glenwood spgs.