1993 RRC won't start

ROVERMAN

Aug 29, 2005
My truck ran fine until it was parked for about 6 months and now won't start.

The engine cranks but does not fire, there is no spark, the fuel pump (less than a year old) is not running, but was removed and tested using a 12v supply and was functional. I don't have any codes. No blown fuses either. I replaced the two relays under the passenger seat and checked the inertia switch but nothing.

Any ideas what to look for? I also replaced the ECM and coil, distributor cap and rotor with negative results.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
Check power to the coil, power to the fusebox. Are there fusable links on the 93? Did a rodent eat through something under the hood?

Shiftonthefly1

Aug 11, 2014
Las Vegas
IGN Amplifier. Located on the distributor. Or if it’s been relocated....on the drivers side near the ign cool. If the ign isn’t firing the ECM won’t run the fuel pump. Only prime the line. It uses the pick up and collapse of the primary circuit to determine if the engine is running then the fuel pump comes into play.

aliastel

Sep 27, 2009
Champaign, IL
Get a factory manual (RAVE) and run through the ignition diagnostic sequence until you pinpoint the problem. Don't just throw parts at it.

Shiftonthefly1

Aug 11, 2014
Las Vegas
^^what he said^^
Always the best practice.

The Rave is a downloadable work manual. Google it. I have it on my phone. In case I'm ever in a jam. Just so happens I have the ign test pages saved. Get the manual anyway.

Jan 3, 2005
On Kennith's private island
A distributor, rotor, or amplifier have nothing to do with power not getting to the fuel pump.

In the right-hand side kick panel, all the way against the firewall, are two metal relays. Silver/grey in color. Pull those out and text them. Here's how https://youtu.be/GtWmYffMido

If the relay(s) test bad, replace with a plastic relay. The metal relays corrode.

ROVERMAN

Aug 29, 2005
Sorry guys, I have been out of town. The IGN Amplifier was replaced before my post, but did nothing. Thanks for the manual instructions and others tips. I will try to check it out this weekend.

ROVERMAN

Aug 29, 2005
Hey guys, could anyone send me a picture of the coil/wires. Just want to make sure everything is in the right place. I replaced it and before posting and just want to see if I got everything back together as it was. :ack: Blueboy, thanks for the fuel pump relay pic.

Thanks!

Last edited: