DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Non-Technical Boards > General

General General BS

Old 11-20-2017, 03:09 PM   #5476
SGaynor

Default Re: Donald Trump Rally in Colorado Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Haha. Everything I have posted has supported my premise. I am saying they(the ones that are actually affected) are getting screwed. Not by your bad math which somehow you're getting taxed 75%. Maybe you should learn to read. I have agreed with you from the beginning, but you've overreacted from the start with your first post of "my $12K turns to $3k" and assumed I think their taxes aren't increasing.
Going back to the link in the link, the CMU students put up a scenario for the College of Fine Arts (#1), that today, resembles what I said I thought was the case when I was there. Tax change on a 13,500 stipend and $43k tuition? $310 to $5,080. That means the after tax stipend goes from $13,190 to $8,420 (and that does not include local and state taxes, nor payroll (SS, Medicaid, unemployment, etc) taxes.)

Quote:
Also when you use the acronym ETA what do you think it means? It only means estimated time of arrival.
Welcome to the internet, circa 2000.

Quote:
The end result is that they are still getting free school. I guess they could eliminate that waived tuition and just pay people and make them pay for school like everybody else. It sounds like a pretty good deal still... free school. First world problems. So I guess the real question is why did the GOP decide to remove that one specific case of waived tuition for employees? Since you're the expert, do the Universities get some other benefit out of paying employees that way?
Graduate school (PhD) is not the same as "college." The vast majority of the time is spent working for a professor doing research - it's more work than studying.

Free school? How much did your flight schooling cost? Did that get added to your income for tax purposes?

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1920SF View Post
Fitness to lead. This is what you wanted. Now you have it.
Govern.
SGaynor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:28 PM   #5477
mgreenspan

Member Trucks

Thanks for the ETA explanation. Never heard of that.

College, school, whatever. You know what I'm talking about.

That's a great attempt at trying to strawman. I guess military people should be compensated the same as peers in the civilian sector, too? The extra $650 a month I get for flight pay does(edited i typed doesn't first time) get taxed but I'm not really compensated accordingly for the increased risk of death or increased radiation exposure or increased risk of DCS with life long repercussions. That said in response to your question, no it was not. But you don't owe your university 10 years of your life at 1/3 or less of the equivalent civilian pay.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:40 PM   #5478
SGaynor

Quote:
Thanks for the ETA explanation. Never heard of that.

College, school, whatever. You know what I'm talking about.

That's a great attempt at trying to strawman. I guess military people should be compensated the same as peers in the civilian sector, too? The extra $650 a month I get for flight pay doesn't get taxed but I'm not really compensated accordingly for the increased risk of death or increased radiation exposure or increased risk of DCS with life long repercussions. That said in response to your question, no it was not. But you don't owe your university 10 years of your life at 1/3 or less of the equivalent civilian pay.
Well, it takes most STEM folks 5-6 years to complete the PhD, and they are paid no more than 1/2 of what they can make in the private sector. All of that research boosts the University's profile....

And, I'm not saying your flight school should be taxed. I was just pointing out how doing so would fuck up your finances and make it impossible for you to be in flight school.

My best friend was a Naval Aviator for 23 years - so I know y'all don't get paid NEARLY enough

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Quote:
Govern.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:06 PM   #5479
1920SF
Keyboard Pounder II

Member Trucks

Quote:
The end result is that they are still getting free school. I guess they could eliminate that waived tuition and just pay people and make them pay for school like everybody else. It sounds like a pretty good deal still... free school. First world problems. So I guess the real question is why did the GOP decide to remove that one specific case of waived tuition for employees? Since you're the expert, do the Universities get some other benefit out of paying employees that way?
What is interesting with this (I won't debate the math further, it is what it is) is that it is indeed a First World problem; the point that some would make is an unintended-or intended-consequence of this will be to reduce the amount of higher education opportunities (and likely the quality) in the nation.

Is that good for the nation?

I'd argue that it isn't; our higher education system is something that makes this nation already great-taking away from that for little real net gain in the pursuit of corporate profits probably isn't in our long term interests.

Of course I also think you should tax churches if you are going to tax schools...plenty of money there, right?
1920SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:31 PM   #5480
mgreenspan

Member Trucks

Quote:
What is interesting with this (I won't debate the math further, it is what it is) is that it is indeed a First World problem; the point that some would make is an unintended-or intended-consequence of this will be to reduce the amount of higher education opportunities (and likely the quality) in the nation.

Is that good for the nation?

I'd argue that it isn't; our higher education system is something that makes this nation already great-taking away from that for little real net gain in the pursuit of corporate profits probably isn't in our long term interests.

Of course I also think you should tax churches if you are going to tax schools...plenty of money there, right?
The difference with churches is that they give a lot of their money away. Not all of them are created equally, though. I don't get taxing certain things. It's like taxing enlistment bonuses and such... I'm the government, I'm going to give you this money, then take some right back. Why not just not tax it and give a different amount.

Who is profiting off this one change? I'm not convinced this generates enough revenue off the individual tax payer to make it worthwhile from that perspective. So I'd like to know which choad/group of choads lobbied to get this added in.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:10 PM   #5481
SGaynor

Basically most everyone is going to get their taxes raised so corporations and those making >$1MM can get a tax cut, so the GOP honchos (See: Hatch video)can say they aren't increasing the deficit TOO much (although the Congress' own tax office says it'll increase the debt by $1T over the next decade. On top of the $1T were already going to rack up

So much for fiscal responsibility.

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Quote:
Govern.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:17 AM   #5482
1920SF
Keyboard Pounder II

Member Trucks

Quote:
The difference with churches is that they give a lot of their money away. Not all of them are created equally, though. I don't get taxing certain things. It's like taxing enlistment bonuses and such... I'm the government, I'm going to give you this money, then take some right back. Why not just not tax it and give a different amount.

Who is profiting off this one change? I'm not convinced this generates enough revenue off the individual tax payer to make it worthwhile from that perspective. So I'd like to know which choad/group of choads lobbied to get this added in.
I don't have a lot of faith, so to speak, in churches giving their money away. Not when you see the church infrastructure and such.

Or rather, I have as much faith in that as I do with gov't affiliated non-profits not making a profit.

Render unto Caesar, or something like that.
1920SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:31 PM   #5483
SGaynor

More winning...Get ready to be forced to use Bing.

FCC plan would give Internet providers power to choose the sites customers see and use

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Quote:
Govern.