The O2 Sensor Thread

Since O2 sensor info is scattered all over the place maybe it would be good to get most of the info in one place. I'll kick it off.

1) The 25044 NTK sensor listed in most parts sources has the wrong plug for my '97 D1.

Question:
I made a monitor panel for my O2 sensors in Torque. They are number 1x1, 1x2, 2x1,2x2. I assume 1 is the odd cylinder side and 2 is the even? Which is front vs rear?

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Since O2 sensor info is scattered all over the place maybe it would be good to get most of the info in one place. I'll kick it off.

1) The 25044 NTK sensor listed in most parts sources has the wrong plug for my '97 D1.

Question:
I made a monitor panel for my O2 sensors in Torque. They are number 1x1, 1x2, 2x1,2x2. I assume 1 is the odd cylinder side and 2 is the even? Which is front vs rear?

You can solder on the correct plug, the sensor is the same. No butt splice connectors, has to be a good solder joint.

As you're sitting in the truck I'm pretty darn sure these are the positions of the sensors.
1x1 1x2

2x1 2x2

mbrummal

Jan 23, 2009
Willow Spring, NC
1x1 is the drivers side pre-cat. 2x1 is the passenger side pre-cat.
1x2 is the drivers side post-cat. 2x2 is the passenger side post-cat.

Buddy

Nov 6, 2006
Central NC
1x1 is the drivers side pre-cat. 2x1 is the passenger side pre-cat.
1x2 is the drivers side post-cat. 2x2 is the passenger side post-cat.

This is how I remember it also.

As Brett mentioned you can definitely solder on the connectors to the O-2 sensors. I've had pretty good results with this.

One other thing to note is that the '96 DI's actually have a different connector from the '97 and later DI's. I'm pretty sure the sensors are the same but the connects are different. At least I've been able to swap the connectors and have them work. For the GEMS engines I'm not sure the connector swap is really worth it anymore. The last few O2 sensors I got were around $80 at Advance Auto parts for the correct ones.

Another thing to note is that the 14CUX trucks use different O2 sensors from the GEMS trucks. They use a 3 wire titania type O-2 sensor. While the GEMS use a 4 wire sensor (I'm not sure if the GEMS uses a zirconia or titania sensor however). So these are not interchangeable. There is a pretty cheap alternative for these sensors though. You can use the Bosch 13021 sensor. Which I believe is used in a mid to late '80 Sentra. Again this will require swapping connectors. I'm currently running two of these in my '95. I got them for around $40-$45 each, and they seem to be working well according to the Rover Gauge.

WaltNYC

Mar 3, 2010
NYC
Mike, is your '97 PRE-AEL or does it have the AEL system? That makes a difference. The 25044's are for AEL trucks. They made the change somewhere in the middle of 1997.

pdXDisco97

Dec 6, 2011
Oregon

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
I've used NTK/NGK sensors on my D1. They were about $60 each, I forget whether I bought them on ebay or Amazon, but 2 years later they are working fine.