Coming up to a dillema D1 or D2

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
I'm sure Defender guys do look down on Disco1 trucks. It's got the same drivetrain, it holds twice as much fuel, its way more comfortable and it costs a fraction of what a defender costs. Let them say what they will. I'm keeping my Defender money in a mutual fund for now.

We do overstate the problems with the D2. But that's just cause we hate them so much. It was a bad time when BMW owned Land Rover. Kind of like staying with your creepy uncle while your parents are working.

Only now. In 1995 dealer price on D1 and D90 were nearly identical. Probably also up to 1997 until they announced they would be discontinued.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Only now. In 1995 dealer price on D1 and D90 were nearly identical. Probably also up to 1997 until they announced they would be discontinued.

When I bought my 30K miles '96 D1 in '99 I passed on a D90 with roughly same miles for the same price. I passed on it because of its comfort and storage shortcomings. Nothing has changed, just the skyrocketed price of the D90.

WeBeCinYa

Feb 25, 2016
NC
I am a owner of '94 NAS 90 and I have had more fun as of late in my '96 D1. Definitely cannot discount the D1, but I think the 5spd makes it more appealing for sure.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Forgot watts link, and plastic rear bumper. Add those to the list.

If you demand more comfort without getting a D3, get a D2.

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
I've had good experiences with both my D2's. For a DD or light trail duty a D2 is great, for a dedicated wheeler a D1 is probably the ticket. I definitely ran into some limitations with my built D2 - the rear overhang, CV's and watts linkage.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I bought my first Disco when it was 3 yrs old and had 60 ish on it. I paid like 13 grand if I remember. Defenders already had climbed in price cause it was a couple yrs since they stopped bringing them to the states. So by that time people could sell a defender for more than they paid for it new. I think people hoped the Disco would hold its value like that but it didn't. I told a guy I would buy a Disco when they got closer to 10 grand. He said I was going to be waiting a long time for that. But that was the year I got a Disco for close to 10

pinkytoe69

Jan 14, 2012
minnesota
plastic rear bumper

I got rear ended twice in my 04.

First was low speed at a right turn stop. I was creeping to see if it was clear, guy thought I was going and bang. Broke the lights, but just a small cut in the bumper. Basically a free $800 from his insurance.

Couple months later (new lights , same bumper) going ~35mph in rush hour a lady in the right lane decides I don't exist and tries to switch into mine. I all but stop to keep from hitting her and BANG, I get smoked from behind by some other lady.

Bumper I think had another little cut, but pretty much fine, so i replace the lights & basically another free $800 from her insurance.

So, yeah, they're plastic, but they're pretty tough and pay well :D

jrose609

Feb 10, 2009
Boise, ID
Idaho car......doubt there is any rust

1995 Land Rover Discover 4x4

00l0l_151c7yobBTM_1200x900.jpg

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
A clean Disco 1 with low miles is a MUCH better investment if you ever intend to sell it.

I personally prefer the handling characteristics of the DII by a large margin, but there's something to be said about values, in the end. A D1 is significantly better, in that regard. They also enjoy somewhat more thorough aftermarket support.

Values, though. One is rising, and the other hasn't moved anywhere but down in quite some time.

Cheers,

Kennith

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Values, though.

This wasn't my reading of the OP's intent. If you're approaching a vehicle choice as a financial investment, then a RRC or rust-free LHD 200TDI D110 imported from Spain are far better choices.

Anyone who factors the investment value of a Discovery into his purchase calculus is deluded. Unless it's an unobtanium special edition like a competition truck from Camel Trophy.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
This wasn't my reading of the OP's intent. If you're approaching a vehicle choice as a financial investment, then a RRC or rust-free LHD 200TDI D110 imported from Spain are far better choices.

Anyone who factors the investment value of a Discovery into his purchase calculus is deluded. Unless it's an unobtanium special edition like a competition truck from Camel Trophy.

As often as some of you guys swap Rovers, I should think it would be at least a minor concern.

Cheers,

Kennith

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
Like RRCs, unmolested and rust free D1s are getting harder to source.

Personally just like the size of a D1 and their proportions.

Also like the RRC, the D1 is a classic LR design.

So D1 for me.

WeBeCinYa

Feb 25, 2016
NC

D1 5spd clean with no rust, no sunroofs, manual seats and lower miles are starting to get harder to find. I feel if any Disco is appreciating, it is that one.

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
Couldn't agree more. Which is why I own one of each.

Yep, same here!

The D1 is totally stock '96 SD with 76k miles and 0 rust. And will remain totally stock.

The RRC, well, basically stock with the exception of the RPI Stage III 4.6 engine and a few off-road accessories.