Diag Unit

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
I was all set to buy a Nanocom for my Rovers, but after talking to them, the GEMS Disco unit only supports the engine ECU, not any others. I wanted to be able to rest the SRS light and see if it tells which ABS sensor is throwing a code (maybe its not that smart). For the P38s, one dead, one working, I wanted to do mostly EAS stuff but would like to investigate the other systems as well. The MSV line seems to cover those but runs on a computer and is much more expensive due to hardware and module cost.

So without getting into a full shop type diag unit, what would be a decent option? I would like one that is not VIN locked if possible. Stand alone would be a bonus, not requiring a PC. And able to use on a 96 GEMS Disco and a 2000 Bosch P38. I am not fond of the ones that run on a phone either, I run Torque now on an old phone. Maybe on a tablet would be ok.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Scott have you tried it on a D1? abs and srs diagnostics are separate pins. By the time the d2 came out the component manufacturers all got on the same diagnostics protocol so its just a software patch to add more modules. It’s unlikely that a generic diagnostics tool even has the pins populated for manufacturer proprietary devices.

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
That's what the MSV line of products, also Blackbox gets into. They have a separate software module and connector for each ECU that you want to connect to. Drives up the cost really fast plus needs a PC to run on.

Is it because the ECUs in the early Discos don't really talk to each other and you need the factory test system to get at them all from the OBDII port?

I would be happy to try it on my Disco and see if it works!