Suckers: Your Bucket Is Ready

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
Probably because I don't serve the shit you get from every other XYZ fried food food truck.

Keep trying to act like you know what's going on here. You don't.

Well, unless you are cooking for 1, or are doing raw vegetables, I'm not seeing how a food truck can use a propane powered anything for more than an hour, let alone weeks.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Snowpeak isn't his workhorse

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/108o83iK90Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

emmodg

Apr 17, 2006
I've seen both Partner and Snow Paycheck in action - Yeah, the Snow Paycheck is "pretty" but I'd rather have a Partner. Partner stoves were always over-built - if you raft/river guide, you own one. You want a "pretty" stove buy a SP. If you want a tough stove buy a Partner. (Or hell, buy a Coleman duel-fuel.)

I bet the Bundy's don't use a Snow Paycheck when they're battling the evil government forces!

emmodg

Apr 17, 2006
When battling the elements on the the A -train from Fulton to Far Rockaway....

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Garrett, how are you defining "better quality"? Does being more heavy duty make it better quality? I've got a stainless steel pour over coffee maker as well as a ceramic one. Both have the same function, but I don't think the stainless steel one is better quality because I can drop it off of my counter without breaking it. You say you put your Partner stove in a Pelican case. Withstanding the abuses of overlanding shouldn't be much of an issue if the stove is in a Pelican case.

The two burner Snow Peak stove was on sale at REI for $200 a couple of weeks ago.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
Garrett, how are you defining "better quality"? Does being more heavy duty make it better quality? I've got a stainless steel pour over coffee maker as well as a ceramic one. Both have the same function, but I don't think the stainless steel one is better quality because I can drop it off of my counter without breaking it. You say you put your Partner stove in a Pelican case. Withstanding the abuses of overlanding shouldn't be much of an issue if the stove is in a Pelican case.

The two burner Snow Peak stove was on sale at REI for $200 a couple of weeks ago.

Yes at times it spends a lot of time in a Pelican when I ship it and many times it would just end up in one of the trucks beds packed among other gear - not pampered. First lets remember it's a camp stove and when I went to buy one, I wanted one that exceeded the white gas Coleman I had since I was little and better quality than the other options available. I liked that the Partner stoves were designed, built and owned by locals in Idaho and they were robust, quality stoves.

I'm happy to spend the money on gear, but not overpay. I still have my TNF LunarLight tent I bought about 20 years ago. This year I just sent it back to get the seems re-taped by TNF at no charge. It wasn't a cheap tent back then, but TNF had a good reputation. SnowPeak has/had a reputation for glamping gear, so I'd never consider them for anything - especially when there are better options out there in ever category. I know I've mentioned it over and over, but I'd have a hard time supporting a company that sells all kinds of average clothing and gear for more than what proven and reputable companies do. You seriously don't see the comedy in much of what they sell? You need to spend some time on their site. If you don't think their $1,300 tents, man purses, $440 ponchos, etc are the only things they are charging wayyyy too much for, then waiting in line for the iPhone X is for you. It's all good man. I wouldn't buy a $300 tent from them, similarly to why I wouldn't buy a $300/400 stove from them.

Quality is the means by which you measure something against a similar kind. So having had these stoves side by side, it's pretty obvious the Partner stoves are better built - quality materials/construction designed for more than just car camping. Yes the construction plays a large role for me. I bought my stove knowing it wasn't going to be toted around with like my MacBook Pro. The SP stoves are nice to look at and perform well. But that doesn't justify their excessive price, like much of their products. I am not going off their sale prices from here and there.

rovercanus

Apr 24, 2004
Dominion Outdoors here has Yeti buckets in stock. I may have to go look at one next time I go to laugh at their ammunition prices.

brian4d

Dec 3, 2007
High Point, NC
That's why I do the food truck and you do whatever it is that you do.

You need to bring that smoker down to the Lexington BBQ festival next year, if you haven't already.

http://www.barbecuefestival.com/

I prefer Lexington BBQ for pork. They still use stationary outdoor pits, grandfathered into an NC law passed that prohibited them. This is what I hear, can't confirm it.

http://www.lexbbq.com/about/

Mumphord's in Victoria, TX is the best Brisket I've ever had.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/mumphords-place-bbq-victoria

Jan 3, 2005
On Kennith's private island
In other words, Jimmy, your stainless steel coffee press is better because it's overbuilt. Unless, of course, you bought it at Williams Sonoma. If that's the case it's not as good as the Stanley coffee press. You see, Stanley is a great company and if it were not for Stanley, transporting bull semen would have been a big problem. So it depends on which stainless steel coffee press you have because some stainless steel coffee presses don't work as well because they cost more and look better.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
Let me try and simplify this for you.

I had a ceramic travel mug and a stainless one. I rarely took the ceramic one out of the house because it was more fragile. The one god damn day I took it out to the barn, it fell over and broke. I was devastated. Thankfully it wasn't one of those commie holiday Starbucks ones, rather just a generic Starbucks one. One of those travel mugs was meant for me bee bopping around the house and morning runs to Whole Foods just after the yoga classes all let out. The other is meant for my training days/weeks, in the barn, etc. - where I don't have to worry if I drop it and slap it around a little. They both do the exact same thing - hold my lovingly created mochas and keep it warm for a little while.

The SnowPeak gear is nice, pretty and thoughtfully designed and built by Japanese people with a rich history of unisex clothing. The Partner Steel stoves are designed and built with a different mindset by men wearing plaid in Idaho - to be extremely durable and well built. To withstand years and years of use and abuse. Not gingerly placed in the back of fine British vehicle with a Kimono draped over it. These are outdoor camp stoves, not your beloved case of South African or Chilean artisanal wine.

In other words, I just wanted a better built (you say overbuilt, but that's fine) camp stove that I'd have for a lifetime, made by some dudes in Idaho that make just stoves - not unisex robes, man purses and sake cups. Now remember - that stainless coffee mug I have here in my house IS overbuilt for sitting on my couch and the cupholder in the Tahoe. But not when I venture outside to the mean streets of Middleburg, the barn, work and a place for my Yeti decal to reside.

I understand the desire to defend your purchase. SnowPeak is a little embarrassing though. Not unlike owning an alpaca cardigan from Barney's.