Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Non-Technical Boards > General

General General BS

Old 11-20-2017, 01:47 PM   #76
garrett

Default Re: Suckers: Your Bucket Is Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERover82 View Post
What a pretty sun dress
$10 says he has those $40 chop sticks in the pocket of that $440 SnowPeak sun dress. I spent 5 minutes looking through the SnowPeak site. It's hilarious. Seriously - people must be buying this crap. Does EE sell sun dresses now?

Guess what they sell on the Partner Steel stove site? Stoves. No apparel, no $100 lights, no chop sticks and no man purses. Just stoves and cooking gear.
1992 Toyota Prado
1991 Toyota Hilux
1991 Toyota Surf
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
1997 Toyota 4Runner
2008 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
2005 KTM 950 Adventure
1993 Mad River Explorer
1996 Thoroughbred
garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:05 PM   #77
garrett

Hey check out this SnowPeak woman's prison shirt that was $330 and now ONLY $164.

I'm convinced that they really have balanced good design and decent pricing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snowpeak.jpg (62.8 KB, 23 views)
1992 Toyota Prado
1991 Toyota Hilux
1991 Toyota Surf
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
1997 Toyota 4Runner
2008 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
2005 KTM 950 Adventure
1993 Mad River Explorer
1996 Thoroughbred
Old 11-20-2017, 02:17 PM   #78
D Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post
The Partners are not bigger, in fact the Partner is smaller. They are just far better made than the SnowPeaks. That's undeniable if you've used both - which I have.
So what broke on your Snow Peak stove that makes the build quality of a Partner "far better"? Anything? Did you do the Pepsi Challenge 40 story roof top building drop torture test to come up with this laughable desperate opinion?

I call a huge Steve Young bullshit story on your use of the Snow Peak stove. I don't think you've ever, never in your life, used one. Not once. If you had, you would know the stove is not made of aluminum as you've stated several times in this thread. You would also know there is no steel on the stove (except for the chrome plated legs). You've stated several times the Snow Peak stove is made of aluminum/steel. It's not. It's made of stainless steel. That's why the Snow Peak stove is so easy to clean. That's why commercial kitchens are made of stainless steel as well - because it's easy to clean. It's sanitary. And when it does get dingy, just hit the surface with a little Bar Keepers Friend and the stove looks brand new again. That shiny finish does not come from a aluminum/steel construction. Had you had ever used a Snow Peak stove you would notice this right away the first time you saw it.

Quote:
I can get all kinds of accessories too - tables, stand, etc. Big deal. All the decent stoves do what the SnowPeak and Partner stoves do, SnowPeak just sells it for a hefty premium for a stamped alum/steel stove.
Comparing the Partner accessories to the Snow Peak IGT set-up if laughable as well. Are you even fucking serious? How does the Partner stove stand even compare? Look at this pile of shit.

That pile of shit is "just as good" as the IGT?!

Quote:
Like I said though, I have a hard time buying from a company that advertises itself as high end glamping gear to the lactose and gluten intolerant crowd - $1,300 REI grade tents, $35 coffee cups and the such make them a fine choice for those wanting to look the part, but it's overpriced average gear.
Then don't buy it. I'm not going to buy a $1,300 tent, either. I don't care if Jesus made the thing. I'll go on to say that I would not even buy a $200 tent. But just because The North Face makes a $5,500 tent does not mean I'm not going to buy their $20 gloves.

And he's another thing. Back Country is still running the same "sale" they were running 10 years ago when I bought my Snow Peak stove. $270. That's $25 less than a Partner stove and it does the same thing, only with more flexibility. Unless you're dropping it from atop the empire state building I suppose.
D Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #79
garrett

Yes I used SnowPeak stoves on several occasions at the Vermont Rally. My friends Clint and Zach each own them. Yes the Partner quality is better - you don't have to look very hard to tell that stamped STEEL (I was going by what I thought their site said) is a better construction in terms of durability than heavy gauge welded aluminum. Strangely I can clean my Partner stove and after 9 years or so, it still looks very nice. Gosh I hope it's as shiny as SnowPeak though. Shiny is good.

They both boil water, cook food, same size, etc, etc. One is constructed better, made by local Idaho tradesman and is cheaper. A company that sells man purses and $440 ponchos made in China, tells me all I need to know. Not unlike a $40 bucket.

PS: The standard two burner Partners are $230. I have a four burner. Converts to two 2 burners in 5 seconds.
1992 Toyota Prado
1991 Toyota Hilux
1991 Toyota Surf
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
1997 Toyota 4Runner
2008 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
2005 KTM 950 Adventure
1993 Mad River Explorer
1996 Thoroughbred
Old 11-20-2017, 02:40 PM   #80
D Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post
(I was going by what I thought their site said)
You should stick to reading the Internet.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:06 PM   #81
seventyfive

https://youtu.be/zAKmxiUZGXA
Old 11-20-2017, 03:08 PM   #82
seventyfive

https://youtu.be/hSzPfHXJJZQ
Old 11-20-2017, 03:09 PM   #83
seventyfive

https://youtu.be/W8KoUs4QS6o
Old 11-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #84
SGaynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Chapman View Post
Probably because I don't serve the shit you get from every other XYZ fried food food truck.

Keep trying to act like you know what's going on here. You don't.
Well, unless you are cooking for 1, or are doing raw vegetables, I'm not seeing how a food truck can use a propane powered anything for more than an hour, let alone weeks.

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1920SF View Post
Fitness to lead. This is what you wanted. Now you have it.
Govern.
SGaynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:42 PM   #85
D Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGaynor View Post
Well, unless you are cooking for 1, or are doing raw vegetables, I'm not seeing how a food truck can use a propane powered anything for more than an hour, let alone weeks.
That's why I do the food truck and you do whatever it is that you do.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:43 PM   #86
SGaynor

Quote:
I thought you played with dead people?

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Quote:
Govern.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:53 PM   #87
D Chapman

You sure think a lot.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:58 PM   #88
SGaynor

Quote:
You sure think a lot.
I get paid to do it.

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Quote:
Govern.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:18 PM   #89
ERover82

Snowpeak isn't his workhorse

Old 11-20-2017, 07:12 PM   #90
emmodg

I've seen both Partner and Snow Paycheck in action - Yeah, the Snow Paycheck is "pretty" but I'd rather have a Partner. Partner stoves were always over-built - if you raft/river guide, you own one. You want a "pretty" stove buy a SP. If you want a tough stove buy a Partner. (Or hell, buy a Coleman duel-fuel.)

I bet the Bundy's don't use a Snow Paycheck when they're battling the evil government forces!

2000 R1150GS
2000 Toyota 4Runner
1963 Triumph TR4
1993 Ducati 900ss
emmodg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:18 PM   #91
emmodg

When battling the elements on the the A -train from Fulton to Far Rockaway....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dorks.jpg (123.5 KB, 25 views)

2000 R1150GS
2000 Toyota 4Runner
1963 Triumph TR4
1993 Ducati 900ss
emmodg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:00 PM   #92
ERover82

SP clothing is just weird. Burberry weird.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:34 PM   #93
rover4x4
I'm still not Senior? WTF?

Member Trucks

Damn he brought out a Steve Young.

This thread is finally going somewhere.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:35 PM   #94
jymmiejamz
I'm still not Senior? WTF?

Garrett, how are you defining "better quality"? Does being more heavy duty make it better quality? I've got a stainless steel pour over coffee maker as well as a ceramic one. Both have the same function, but I don't think the stainless steel one is better quality because I can drop it off of my counter without breaking it. You say you put your Partner stove in a Pelican case. Withstanding the abuses of overlanding shouldn't be much of an issue if the stove is in a Pelican case.

The two burner Snow Peak stove was on sale at REI for $200 a couple of weeks ago.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:35 PM   #95
garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by jymmiejamz View Post
Garrett, how are you defining "better quality"? Does being more heavy duty make it better quality? I've got a stainless steel pour over coffee maker as well as a ceramic one. Both have the same function, but I don't think the stainless steel one is better quality because I can drop it off of my counter without breaking it. You say you put your Partner stove in a Pelican case. Withstanding the abuses of overlanding shouldn't be much of an issue if the stove is in a Pelican case.

The two burner Snow Peak stove was on sale at REI for $200 a couple of weeks ago.
Yes at times it spends a lot of time in a Pelican when I ship it and many times it would just end up in one of the trucks beds packed among other gear - not pampered. First lets remember it's a camp stove and when I went to buy one, I wanted one that exceeded the white gas Coleman I had since I was little and better quality than the other options available. I liked that the Partner stoves were designed, built and owned by locals in Idaho and they were robust, quality stoves.

I'm happy to spend the money on gear, but not overpay. I still have my TNF LunarLight tent I bought about 20 years ago. This year I just sent it back to get the seems re-taped by TNF at no charge. It wasn't a cheap tent back then, but TNF had a good reputation. SnowPeak has/had a reputation for glamping gear, so I'd never consider them for anything - especially when there are better options out there in ever category. I know I've mentioned it over and over, but I'd have a hard time supporting a company that sells all kinds of average clothing and gear for more than what proven and reputable companies do. You seriously don't see the comedy in much of what they sell? You need to spend some time on their site. If you don't think their $1,300 tents, man purses, $440 ponchos, etc are the only things they are charging wayyyy too much for, then waiting in line for the iPhone X is for you. It's all good man. I wouldn't buy a $300 tent from them, similarly to why I wouldn't buy a $300/400 stove from them.

Quality is the means by which you measure something against a similar kind. So having had these stoves side by side, it's pretty obvious the Partner stoves are better built - quality materials/construction designed for more than just car camping. Yes the construction plays a large role for me. I bought my stove knowing it wasn't going to be toted around with like my MacBook Pro. The SP stoves are nice to look at and perform well. But that doesn't justify their excessive price, like much of their products. I am not going off their sale prices from here and there.
1992 Toyota Prado
1991 Toyota Hilux
1991 Toyota Surf
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
1997 Toyota 4Runner
2008 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
2005 KTM 950 Adventure
1993 Mad River Explorer
1996 Thoroughbred
Old 11-21-2017, 05:15 AM   #96
rovercanus

Dominion Outdoors here has Yeti buckets in stock. I may have to go look at one next time I go to laugh at their ammunition prices.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:14 AM   #97
brian4d

Quote:
You need to bring that smoker down to the Lexington BBQ festival next year, if you haven't already.

http://www.barbecuefestival.com/

I prefer Lexington BBQ for pork. They still use stationary outdoor pits, grandfathered into an NC law passed that prohibited them. This is what I hear, can't confirm it.

http://www.lexbbq.com/about/

Mumphord's in Victoria, TX is the best Brisket I've ever had.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/mumphords-place-bbq-victoria
brian4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:15 AM   #98
garrett

If they have this in an XL, please snag me one.

"Urban and outdoor utility meet timeless military function with the Organic Rip Stop Dress"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SP-12.jpg (23.5 KB, 11 views)
1992 Toyota Prado
1991 Toyota Hilux
1991 Toyota Surf
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
1997 Toyota 4Runner
2008 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
2005 KTM 950 Adventure
1993 Mad River Explorer
1996 Thoroughbred
Old 11-21-2017, 09:22 AM   #99
D Chapman

In other words, Jimmy, your stainless steel coffee press is better because it's overbuilt. Unless, of course, you bought it at Williams Sonoma. If that's the case it's not as good as the Stanley coffee press. You see, Stanley is a great company and if it were not for Stanley, transporting bull semen would have been a big problem. So it depends on which stainless steel coffee press you have because some stainless steel coffee presses don't work as well because they cost more and look better.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:11 AM   #100
garrett

Let me try and simplify this for you.

I had a ceramic travel mug and a stainless one. I rarely took the ceramic one out of the house because it was more fragile. The one god damn day I took it out to the barn, it fell over and broke. I was devastated. Thankfully it wasn't one of those commie holiday Starbucks ones, rather just a generic Starbucks one. One of those travel mugs was meant for me bee bopping around the house and morning runs to Whole Foods just after the yoga classes all let out. The other is meant for my training days/weeks, in the barn, etc. - where I don't have to worry if I drop it and slap it around a little. They both do the exact same thing - hold my lovingly created mochas and keep it warm for a little while.

The SnowPeak gear is nice, pretty and thoughtfully designed and built by Japanese people with a rich history of unisex clothing. The Partner Steel stoves are designed and built with a different mindset by men wearing plaid in Idaho - to be extremely durable and well built. To withstand years and years of use and abuse. Not gingerly placed in the back of fine British vehicle with a Kimono draped over it. These are outdoor camp stoves, not your beloved case of South African or Chilean artisanal wine.

In other words, I just wanted a better built (you say overbuilt, but that's fine) camp stove that I'd have for a lifetime, made by some dudes in Idaho that make just stoves - not unisex robes, man purses and sake cups. Now remember - that stainless coffee mug I have here in my house IS overbuilt for sitting on my couch and the cupholder in the Tahoe. But not when I venture outside to the mean streets of Middleburg, the barn, work and a place for my Yeti decal to reside.

I understand the desire to defend your purchase. SnowPeak is a little embarrassing though. Not unlike owning an alpaca cardigan from Barney's.
1992 Toyota Prado
1991 Toyota Hilux
1991 Toyota Surf
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
1997 Toyota 4Runner
2008 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
2005 KTM 950 Adventure
1993 Mad River Explorer
1996 Thoroughbred