Mounting pictures and opinions of the Utragauge

coop74

Dec 10, 2015
Alcoa TN
For those of you using the Utragauge could you post up pictures of where and how you mounted them and your impressions of the usefulness of the unit.

Thanks in advance for the reply...

Coop

Toran

Feb 3, 2017
Ohio
Here are my before and after locations.
I relocated to reclaim that much needed vent for the Winter while doing some other mods(a work in process).

MNinWI

Dec 19, 2007
I just have it above the dash and slightly to the right using their bracket, no photos.

I like it but I find that it over-estimates my fuel efficiency for city driving when there is a lot of cold starts. And in winter when it is quite cold (this morning about zero degrees F) the vehicle uses a lot more fuel during the warm up than the gauge indicates.

I think (but do not know for sure) that the gauge uses vehicle sensors to measure air flow into the engine, then uses a standard stoichiometric ratio to estimate fuel usage. But when it is cold the vehicle burns more fuel than the standard ratio.

coop74

Dec 10, 2015
Alcoa TN
I just have it above the dash and slightly to the right using their bracket, no photos.

I like it but I find that it over-estimates my fuel efficiency for city driving when there is a lot of cold starts. And in winter when it is quite cold (this morning about zero degrees F) the vehicle uses a lot more fuel during the warm up than the gauge indicates.

I think (but do not know for sure) that the gauge uses vehicle sensors to measure air flow into the engine, then uses a standard stoichiometric ratio to estimate fuel usage. But when it is cold the vehicle burns more fuel than the standard ratio.

I believe there is a menu option to adjust the fuel economy estimator, or i think i read that in the guide book.

best4x4

Mar 1, 2015
Beaumont, TX
I don't use an Ultra Gauge, but I do use a ScanGauge II. I mounted it to the dummy plate where the D1/D2 dash cup holders that pop out of the dash go. It's a very good basic OBDII reader and it has the RPM, VLT, WT, and AI temps I like to monitor. I made it light up green to match the D2 dash and it looks very nice.

colvere

Sep 3, 2004
Filer, ID
Looks to be a pretty nice tool for the money and may help me reduce the amount of $$ I spend on my Land Rovers. I usually just keep buying parts until it runs better :). I did find a shop to reset my adaptive values for $50 I was just guessing that is what it needed (but guessed correctly).

MNinWI

Dec 19, 2007
I believe there is a menu option to adjust the fuel economy estimator, or i think i read that in the guide book.

There is a way to calibrate it, if I drive hundreds of miles between tank fills with no cold starts, I have calibrated it and the calibration ratio was about 1.05. But city driving in winter when each cold start is used for a short drive of less than 10 miles, it burns much more fuel than the gauge estimates.