Osprey backpack: Eclipse 36, med. frame

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
This is an old-school pack, made in the days when backpacks were tanks and not the sissy ultralight disposable junk currently filling the walls at REI. It's heavy, no doubt about it, and that is because it's made to last with tough fabrics, cushy suspension, and a frame that can carry your gear comfortably.

It's a medium frame with a stay and plastic framesheet. Features include main compartment, zippered outside compartment, 2 pockets in lid, wand pockets, compression panels and straps that can clip into 2 different positions depending on the pack load, daisy chain, 2 ice axe loops, medium hipbelt, and 3 adjustable straps for carrying long skinny things (pickets, etc.)

This would make an excellent rock climbing, ice climbing, or overnight pack. Would also be great for travel. If you spend hours on the internet comparing pack specs this is not for you. If you cut off part of the handle on your toothbrush to save weight this pack is not for you. If you want something that is comfortable and will withstand many years of heavy use and are strong enough that a couple extra pounds won't slow you down, this is a solid choice.

Minimal signs of wear as the photos show. No stains, no funky smells, this pack has been sitting unused in the closet for a long time because my fleet of packs is embarrassingly large and this one has become a bit of a museum piece. Hopefully it can find a useful and happy home.

See Osprey's website for sizing details. It suggests a medium frame will fit a torso in the range of 18"-21". $50 shipped, pics to follow.

rwhitmo04

Jul 8, 2011
North Alabama
Nick, would it be large enough to fit a 60m rope bag along with all the other common climbing equipment (draws, slings, shoes, chalk, etc...)? I'd like to get my rope inside my bag for longer approaches.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Nick, would it be large enough to fit a 60m rope bag along with all the other common climbing equipment (draws, slings, shoes, chalk, etc...)? I'd like to get my rope inside my bag for longer approaches.

The bad news (for D-web): the pack sold last night on fleabay. Would have rather had it stay in the Rover family. Sorry, fellas.

The consolation: I don't think the pack would have enough capacity for all the stuff you mentioned. You could fit the rope and the sport rack but your shoes, chalk, waterbottle, and helmet would be hanging off the side like a Christmas tree. I use a 45 liter pack for cragging and find I can fit everything inside with room to spare. My wife used this Osprey when we went climbing and she carried both our shoes, harnesses, chalk, helmets, extra layers, etc. and I took the heavy stuff. It worked great for that.

The Black Diamond Speed 40 might be something to consider:
http://featheredfriends.com/black-diamond-speed-40-backpack.html

Pretty light, too, at 2.5 pounds and the price is not bad. The good news is there is no shortage of choices of decent packs for reasonable prices in this size range. Good luck!