5.0 Engine Replacement in 2012 LR4

Maximumwarp

Mar 22, 2015
Fairburn GA
Really not a big deal. Once the body is off its the easiest engine I've ever replaced. I feel sorry for guys who only have drive on racks and have to do it in the car. The torque converter bolts are next to impossible that way.

We got rid of all our drive-ons (we don't need one bc we don't have an alignment machine). I can't imagine a shop full of only those massive things.

So was this a warranty repair?

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
I had no idea you had to remove the body to pull these engines. Jesus.

You don't have to, but it only takes about two hours to pull the body. The worst part about pulling the body is that you have to bleed the brakes when you're done. At Land Rover Glen Cove we only have drive on lifts, so pulling the body wasn't an option.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
So was this a warranty repair?[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize there was any other kind of repair. To answer your next question....17 hours roughly. Plus anything you can hammer out for diagnosis.

Maximumwarp

Mar 22, 2015
Fairburn GA
So was this a warranty repair?

I didn't realize there was any other kind of repair. To answer your next question....17 hours roughly. Plus anything you can hammer out for diagnosis.[/QUOTE]

Unless LRNA does things differently than others, I would assume a customer pay job would put more money in your pocket per hour of labor. 17 is all they give you? Stay late to make 8 indeed. Idk where they come up with times. We did a recall on the Ram curtain airbags that Chrysler paid 2.6 hours for, and my techs were doing them in 45 minutes. Then they came out with another one that required you to pull and inspect the rear axle, paid .5 for it, and it took the guys closer to an hour.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I didn't realize there was any other kind of repair. To answer your next question....17 hours roughly. Plus anything you can hammer out for diagnosis.

Unless LRNA does things differently than others, I would assume a customer pay job would put more money in your pocket per hour of labor. 17 is all they give you? Stay late to make 8 indeed. Idk where they come up with times. We did a recall on the Ram curtain airbags that Chrysler paid 2.6 hours for, and my techs were doing them in 45 minutes. Then they came out with another one that required you to pull and inspect the rear axle, paid .5 for it, and it took the guys closer to an hour.[/QUOTE]

I bet it's because it was Chrysler's axle and it was somebody else"s air bags. If someone sold them the air bag system then that other company was being held accountable and Chrysler wanted to get paid for it. If they made the axle they paid themselves.

Yep, stay late to make 8 is the name of thew game sometimes. But other times you can knock the cover off the ball. I tell kids "sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you"

Maximumwarp

Mar 22, 2015
Fairburn GA
I bet it's because it was Chrysler's axle and it was somebody else"s air bags. If someone sold them the air bag system then that other company was being held accountable and Chrysler wanted to get paid for it. If they made the axle they paid themselves. "

The axle was theirs, but the issue with the airbag was the installation and routing, which was also their fault. A lot of their recalls have to do with poor design. They just dropped one on the Journeys bc water can drip down a part of the wiring harness that's grounded to the shock tower and into the ABS modulator, thereby frying it. Don't get me started on the new 200...

It's gotten to the point where I keep a giant three-ring binder with printouts of all the recall bulletins various manufacturers put out so I can keep them all straight.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
The axle was theirs, but the issue with the airbag was the installation and routing, which was also their fault. A lot of their recalls have to do with poor design. They just dropped one on the Journeys bc water can drip down a part of the wiring harness that's grounded to the shock tower and into the ABS modulator, thereby frying it. Don't get me started on the new 200...

It's gotten to the point where I keep a giant three-ring binder with printouts of all the recall bulletins various manufacturers put out so I can keep them all straight.

My mom is a Jeep girl. She wants to get that new Renegade. What can you tell me about that? pm me if you don't want to bash anything on the open forum.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
I did the same thing a couple years ago. First I did the head gaskets for 27 hours warranty and then the motor for another 18. My manager just paid me straight time, but I think I only had about 50 hours in it which isn't terrible for never having one of those motors apart before.