P38 EAS weird stuff...

JohnnoK

Mar 19, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
OK, I officially need serious help now. I am so far out of my depth it's not funny....

I made up the cable and hooked up the PC to run the freeware and it revealed a litany of errors.
icon_question.gif

F8 = 69
F9 = 227
FA = 213
FB = 0
FC = 255
FL signal incorrect
FR signal incorrect
RR signal incorrect
Engine speed fault
Vehicle speed fault
Air supply leak
Target heights incorrect
Vehicle has moved
Cannot lower FR
Cannot lower FL
FA:16_Hidden
FA:64_hidden
FL valve stuck closed
FR ditto
RL ditto
RR ditto
Inlet valve stuck closed
Exhaust valve stuck closed
FC:64_hidden
FC:128_hidden
Each time I run the program, it has different errors.
icon_e_surprised.gif

When I read the heights, I get
HIGH Profile: FL = 0, FR = 6, RL = 0, RR = 14
STANDARD Profile: FL = 0, FR = 0, RL = 0, RR = 247
LOW profile: 0, 0, 0, 14
ACCESS Profile: 0, 0, 0, 247
and, if I do them again, they are different again....
icon_frown.gif

When I "get sensor heights"
LF = 128, RF = 40, LR = 128, RR = 40
and, if I do them again, they are different again....
icon_e_confused.gif

As for the " Cannot lower FL and FR in the errors, I set sail to town this morning to buy the bits for the cable and having manually inflated the old girl to approximately level, I plugged the valve body and compressor in, turned the key to start it and, as soon as it started, it dropped the front onto the bump stops. I limped to a service station, inflated the front again and as soon as I started it, back on the stops.....
I unplugged it all, inflated it again and ran my errands, came home and got the errors above when I fired the PC up.....

So, where do I even start debugging this shambles?

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
I have never run that software before. I did use some free stuff this guy used to offer and may still be around on some sites. He has lots of P38 info too. What I saw with his software was that unreliable results were usually related to communication issues either with the cable or the computer comms settings. Maybe you can find something here.

http://www.rswsolutions.com/index.php/range-rover-p38a

Have you tried pulling the EAS delay timer from under the driver seat, LHD? It puts the system in manual mode but also kills computer connectivity so use it only when you need to.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I really have no idea what kind of software or what you have going on but I would be looking at why that rear corner sensor value is never at 0 with all the other boys.I cant remember if LP's had different sensor each corner. You need to know for sure what the corner height sensor voltage at each corner really is. Find a schematic and some t pins and measure the circuits with a meter maybe.

I would also make sure the sensor arm isn't flipped the wrong direction on a sensor. That would make the corners go high and make the system fault out like your describing.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
If the software is trying to act like the equipment Land Rover runs for this, one of those perameters looked like it could have been distance from target height. It would make sense that all those sensors said 0. Maybe meaning 0 cm from target and that one corner was way out of range. Pull on the wires and look for coroded or almost broken wires near the sensor connectors.

JohnnoK

Mar 19, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
CORover,
It is the same software. I have given all the connectors I can find a squirt of contact cleaner and made sure they are well seated on reconnecting. One of the connectors in the footwell, behind the kickpanel was showing signs of growing mushrooms and there was dampness around there, so maybe I have hit on one solution.... we live in hope...

discostew,
I have made up a set of height blocks to set the various heights, and hopefully with the cleaning I have done, the next attempt will bring more joy...

Thanks for the help so far, guys!

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
You're having communications issues.
Make sure your connections are snug in the OBD port and the serial port.
Are you using a 9-pin serial port on an older machine, or a USB to serial dongle?
There's a WHOLE bunch of manual work-arounds if you can't, for whatever reason, get this fixed right away.
You can actually run the entire system with jumpers on the connector under the drivers' seat.