Built in computer backdoors

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Last I checked, Bloomberg, Apple and Amazon don't own B52s.

But remember: America First!

Nothing wrong with propping someone up after cutting them down. It's been done for thousands of years.

You have a chance to redirect their interests for your own benefit.

Now, whether or not that happens is for the future to determine, but we have all of human history as precedent.

Cheers,

Kennith

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
I ain't sharing that publicly, or even privately beyond a select few people. You'll need to read up on the fundamentals on how computers actually function and take it from there.

As for USB, in a nutshell:

1: It's only good for about six feet before you have to get clever.

2: This is changing somewhat, but the connectors suck. For twenty fucking years or so we've all had to attempt to plug them in three times before we get it right.

3: Despite promises, even to this day it doesn't function overly well without a modern operating environment.

4: It's highly bandwidth limited. There have been better ways to handle this stuff. Now, that's improving as well, but when it takes this long, you've got a bad innovation.

5: The "universal" aspect isn't always so "universal".

6: I don't care how much technology they squeeze in there, you just need more copper than that for a reliable connection. The tiny connectors, while acceptable for phones and things of that nature, do not allow for fat enough wire.

It basically sucks for the same reasons HDMI sucks.

Cheers,

Kennith

Understandable concerns. It was a hell of an improvement over earlier PC interface connectors and became an outdated victim of its own success. Consumers don't like change and tech companies can't agree on standards. For distances up to 50ft, we've had success using active cables. For longer distance we've used fiber, UTP, and network based bridges. Hard to expect consumer tech to go those lengths without extra work.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Understandable concerns. It was a hell of an improvement over earlier PC interface connectors and became an outdated victim of its own success. Consumers don't like change and tech companies can't agree on standards. For distances up to 50ft, we've had success using active cables. For longer distance we've used fiber, UTP, and network based bridges. Hard to expect consumer tech to go those lengths without extra work.

I've got some active cables, but they do hiccup on occasion, especially before the drivers load into memory. It's better than nothing, though. I've got a sixteen foot active cable running the Ducky Shine 3 keyboard I'm using right now, and it does drop out and require cycling every now and again.

People would say just stick it in a 3.0 port. Hell, those are less reliable than 2.0. :rofl: It's a mess.

If they amped up the power and used D-sub connectors, I'd be less prone to griping about it. Larger wire could be used. Smaller connectors work fine for phones, but there's no reason to rely on the same connectors for everything else.

The connectors are the main limiting factor of USB. If you fattened up the cable, you'd clean out most of the issues. You'd still have trouble with it outside of a modern operating environment, but the tech running it could be made more robust, thus mitigating the issue somewhat.

Miniaturization has caused many headaches, and many proprietary standards and regulations. HDMI fucked everyone. Sony owns anything that goes through those cables, and they suck. People think it's the only way to pass HD video from one device to another...

Hell, that video is delivered to hundreds of houses on their street via coaxial cable; audio and all. Any cable could have been used, and any connector; same as USB. Pump it up enough and you can use coat hangers.

An example would be your converters for longer runs. They work just fine, and are limited only by the USB standard itself. There is absolutely nothing special about USB or HDMI.

The standards can use any cable or connector implemented, and yet we spent nearly twenty five years bitching before someone finally realized it would be a good idea to at least have one that plugged in both ways.

It still sucks, but at least it doesn't take three tries to get it in there. :banghead:

I loved DVI, though. It needed work, but it had everything it required to succeed in place of HDMI. I even designed a nice connector to replace the USB stuff at one point. It was only half again as large, and far better cable was possible.

Nobody in the industry cared. I did try, though. When I gripe, I don't just run my mouth. I do attempt to change things as best I can.

Cheers,

Kennith

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/s1A4B9AzFNU" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
I've got some active cables, but they do hiccup on occasion,[snip]
HDMI fucked everyone. [snip]
Hell, that video is delivered to hundreds of houses on their street via coaxial cable; audio and all. [snip]

An example would be your converters for longer runs. [snip]
I loved DVI, though. [snip]
Cheers,

Kennith

active cables.
fuck me.
1-directional hdmi. fuck you. non-latching connectors.
what the fuck.

SDI. now THAT'S a fucking system, boy-o.

DVI, I could take or leave. not that hot above 50 feet.
it still has all the hdcp horseshit.

15-pin d-sub (i just call it VGA) works in the 100' range, for fucks sake.
and it's ANALOG.
when all the digital shit craps out, i fall back to vga or 5-wire (5 separate coax cables in a single outer jacket: red, green, blue, horizontal and vertical sync) analog.

anything over CAT6, fuck it.

coax.
it was good enough for your grandfather's cable tv, it's good enough for you.

most of my big source devices (switches and whatnot) are HD-SDI output.
run a couple hundred feet of that, convert to whatever the projector or monitor wants to see.
that's a bit of a pita, since now i need damned converters on every fucking cable.
1 more potential point of failure, which makes me less than happy.

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
active cables.
fuck me.
what the fuck.

and it's ANALOG.
when all the digital shit craps out, i fall back to vga or 5-wire (5 separate coax cables in a single outer jacket: red, green, blue, horizontal and vertical sync) analog.

coax.

run a couple hundred feet of that, convert to whatever the projector or monitor wants to see.
that's a bit of a pita, since now i need damned converters on every fucking cable.

SDI and Analog (component, s-video) were developed by broadcast engineers. HDMI was developed by computer engineers and MPAA lawyers.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
active cables.
fuck me.
what the fuck.

and it's ANALOG.

coax.

D Sub would actually be my personal choice.

Cheers,

Kennith

salvvia

May 28, 2005
BIG WHEEL ROVN IN KNOXVEGAS TN.
What the hell are you turds doing here bitching about hdmi cables and jumper converters you need to be building a interstellar
Black hole spaceship or something your speaking way above the realm of head gaskets and conooter valves i just wanted to hear about what the lastest information infiltration tool not cracked yet is and who was runing it the russians or the australians because we all know china has bought australia and

by the way F○《€ the spelling police

az_max

Apr 22, 2005

coworker called me yesterday to help troubleshoot hdmi over cat6 baluns. AGPTEK brand devices, single (new) cat6 runs to conference rooms. It works on specific shorter runs, and for some reason it works when connecting to some locations from the coworker's desk to that conf room (patched through the wiring closet), but it doesn't work reliably from teh wiring closet to the conf room.
If we 'jump start' the connection by going between PC and TV A, we can move to TV B and it works. until you unplug the devices. It has to be a handshake problem, maybe RF in the wiring closet (switches, transformers and CCTV equipment in there)
I told him to try a different brand of devices, see if it fixes the problem.

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
coworker called me yesterday to help troubleshoot hdmi over cat6 baluns. AGPTEK brand devices, single (new) cat6 runs to conference rooms. It works on specific shorter runs, and for some reason it works when connecting to some locations from the coworker's desk to that conf room (patched through the wiring closet), but it doesn't work reliably from teh wiring closet to the conf room.
If we 'jump start' the connection by going between PC and TV A, we can move to TV B and it works. until you unplug the devices. It has to be a handshake problem, maybe RF in the wiring closet (switches, transformers and CCTV equipment in there)
I told him to try a different brand of devices, see if it fixes the problem.

I've used Atlona. https://atlona.com/
It's DESIGNED for installation; CAT6E wiring.
The "transmitters" take HDMI in, change it to HDBaseT, the "receivers" take HDBaseT in, convert to HDMI.
It works well in a situation where the cable is protected, like in walls.
If I can run the cable so that no one can step on it, I'll use it.
Some of my monitors & projectors will take HDBaseT as an input.
I've never used it through patch panels.
My max has been a single 80-meter cable run, which has worked without issue..

HDCP (especially over HDMI) seems to require that the END device be connected & powered first, working back to source device.
This is ass-backward from my usual method, which is start at source and end at destination.