Transfer Case lever issue - need some direction

mware18

Feb 22, 2018
Birmingham
Hi all! I have a 96 SE that I have been working through over the past few months. Have steering and suspension items replaced and now moving on to 4x4 issue.

Truck moves just fine in Drive although T case lever moves as if it is in Neutral. I know that if it was actually in N if would not move. I am not able to move lever into any position. (High/Low - Unlocked/Locked). It only moves left and right as if in Neutral.

Possibly lever is disconnected? Where should I start my journey to tracking down this issue?

Thanks

Icannap1

Mar 3, 2015
OC, CA
You will need to remove the center console, drill out the rivets, and pull up the access cover to see or service the unit. Use the Rave manual it will show you what you should be looking at.

kade

Oct 15, 2013
Upstate, SC
I had Linkage come lose. Go under the truck with a flashlight. You can locate the linkage that way. I had to find a bolt to fit the linkage but I got it back together just fine.

The first time I looked I did not see it but you can def find it from underneath

mearstrae

Mar 15, 2017
Pennsylvania
It can be done from underneath, but it's better to do it from on top. That way you can get at the shifter housing, open it up, and clean out all the old grease and replace with high grade stuff. And then clean and grease all the other linkage. The D1 set-up needs to be cycled through hi-low and lock-unlock about once a month to prevent it seizing up. Oh, and the side to side movement is trying to engage difflock, not the same as the side to side movement you get with a manual shift car in neutral.

'99 DII
'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

mware18

Feb 22, 2018
Birmingham
The video and comments definitely help. Video was actually entertaining.

I guess my issue is the high and low engagement. I can move side to side as he shows with ease. Just no way to move forward and back. Looks like a weekend of console removal and seeing what is going on.

Thanks

mware18

Feb 22, 2018
Birmingham
I guess what I have learned through watching these videos is my cross shaft moves fine, my selector fork is not moving at all.

Took a look under tuck and can see linkage moving side to side. Some movement when trying to move forward. Video from inside.

https://youtu.be/UFbjKvOG3gM

Last edited: