recurring P0340 and hard starts

jastutte

Nov 10, 2009
2004 D2. is the consensus still that even though this is a camshaft code the first thing to check is the crankshaft sensor?

thanks,

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I think I would trust the car and chase the camshaft code. The wires get oil soaked till they short out. And they get rubbed thru on the crank pulley. I've seen the magnet fall off the cam sprocket too. There are two kinds of crank sensors though. ones that have failed and ones that are about to fail.

jastutte

Nov 10, 2009
I think I would trust the car and chase the camshaft code. The wires get oil soaked till they short out. And they get rubbed thru on the crank pulley. I've seen the magnet fall off the cam sprocket too. There are two kinds of crank sensors though. ones that have failed and ones that are about to fail.

damn. i was hoping to only need to change out the less expensive crank sensor.

jastutte

Nov 10, 2009
camshaft sensor is on the way from Lucky8.

i'll post back up after it's installed and the codes are cleared.

jastutte

Nov 10, 2009
put in the new Camshaft Sensor and the code immediately came back.

cleared it and it came right back.

anything else to check before i move on to the crankshaft sensor?

thanks,

jastutte

Nov 10, 2009
Check the wiring...

if if wasn't so cold out, i'd already be checking it.

i found an inexpensive Crankshaft sensor. i'll throw that on and if it doesn't fix the issue then i'll start tracing the Camshaft sensor wiring.

rovercanus

Apr 24, 2004
There is a bit of wiring loom that goes down to the front cover for the oil pressure sensor and cam position sensor. On my 2000 I had this wear through where it was rubbing the engine and giving me a false pressure sensor indication. Look where it runs along the engine.

jastutte

Nov 10, 2009
update:

i should have checked the wiring sooner. turns out the brittle plastic loom clamps had broken and allowed the wire loom to rest against the exhaust manifold.

melted one ground wire completely and had started on another wire.

i repaired the wires, put new hi-temp wire loom around all the wires and zip-tied that all in place.

went on a 250 mile trip over the holiday and was code free the entire way. truck ran much better as well.

thanks for all the help and especially to jymmiejamz and rovercanus.