Anyone using an aftermarket stereo w/HK amp and speakers?

Roverfire

Jan 2, 2005
Casper,WY
Is anyone using an aftermarket head unit with the Harman/Kardon amp and speakers? Crutchfield says they have a harness that will allow you to retain the Harman/Kardon setup and just replace the head unit. I'm thinking of doing this because I don't want to spend the $$$ for the factory CD changer and this way I will have a CD/MP3/WMA player and also an aux input for sat radio for later down the road. If I wanted then I could even use a CD changer later too, plus I don't have to figure how to make the factory sub work with an aftermarket unit.

S

syoung

I assume your head unit is a visteon single CD version? If so- a blaupunkt head unit will plug right in, otherwise there is an adapter to plug in just about any other head unit.

The HK amp is a speaker level input type, so it's no big deal to swap heads. ANY head unit would probably sound better than the original one- I went Blau, but tried an Alpine in there and either of them sounded better than the original.

D

DiscoII

Hey I could sell you my factory CD changer and save you the trouble with the head unit. It is an alpine from my 03 Disco?

S

syoung

Depends which head unit is in it- HK external amp stereos can be had with a visteon OR an alpine head unit.

Alpine head for me too (gotta watch my dvd's and run my gps). It's no prob hooking to the factory amp - wish I'd have known about the wiring harness adapter before I hooked it up though. But I am proud of getting the steering wheel controls to work again finally :). I've disconnected the factory subs from the rear door (anybody want them?) since my little kicker 10" is much better.

Craig - how did you adjust the line levels on the factory HK amp?

Roverfire

Jan 2, 2005
Casper,WY
By the way I have a 99' Series II Disco with the Alpine head unit. Also Jaberwock how did you get the steering wheel controls to work again? Any details on the install?

craig

Oct 1, 2004
Edmonds, WA
overlandnavigator.com
Jaberwock said:
Craig - how did you adjust the line levels on the factory HK amp?

There are universal line level adjusters. r inputs, 4 outputs, and two knobs. One knob adjusts the left (or front) and the other knob adjusts the right (or rear) line levels. I forget the name of it, but any good stereo shop should be able to help you out. Just tell them you have a factory amp and want to use an aftermarket headunit. They will give you a wiring harness and the line level adjuster.

Headunit -> Line level adjuster -> amp -> speakers.

--Craig

S

syoung

not sure you'd need an external line level adjuster since the HK amp is hi-level (speaker level) input from the head unit.