Oldest Land Rover Found

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Very cool....get it running but leave it as original as possible.

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
I thought they had actually found the first center steer Land Rover prototype. My reaction to that is more meh than astonishment.

Sounds like it was a prototype:

This will, clearly, be the oldest thing they?ll work on, since it was built for the 1948 Amsterdam Motor Show at which Land Rover was introduced to the world.

It seems that 48 of these original original Land Rovers, which were really pre-production prototypes, were built around the same time. This one, according to Land Rover, ended up being registered and presumably sold to somebody in 1955.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
It sat in a garden and was used as a static power source for a large portion of its life. I'm trying to imagine a Freelander after all that..

mgreenspan

Feb 28, 2005
Briggs's Back Yard
Sounds like it was a prototype:

This will, clearly, be the oldest thing they?ll work on, since it was built for the 1948 Amsterdam Motor Show at which Land Rover was introduced to the world.

It seems that 48 of these original original Land Rovers, which were really pre-production prototypes, were built around the same time. This one, according to Land Rover, ended up being registered and presumably sold to somebody in 1955.

Yeah. center steer prototype would be astonishing. An early prototype of production is meh in my opinion in terms of impressiveness.

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
Yeah. center steer prototype would be astonishing. An early prototype of production is meh in my opinion in terms of impressiveness.

Ah.

I thought it was center steer. That first picture (at an angle ) threw me. I see your point.

Still, pretty cool piece of history.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap