what am i looking at?

gthphotography

Aug 27, 2008
chicago
www.greghanrahan.com
I recently did the heads on my 04 D2, and while the engine was out, I ignored the water pump.
Well, today it decided to bite back for my cold shouldering and threw up all it's coolant.
A while back I posted on here with a pic of a tiny little speck of orange on the engine in the same place as in this new photo.
So, what am I looking at?
Did the water pump seal go?
Did the engine crack?
Can you have a pinhole in an engine?
Are engine cracks super tiny?
Is this the water pump?
Is this the front cover?
Is the engine shot?
Can all this fluid come out of there?

Any and all help would be, well, helpful.
I keep sticking a towel up there and the second I pull it away it looks like this.

I will gladly answer any questions regarding the truck and image.

Thank you.
Greg

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
It looks like there is a residue line from the water jacket of the front cover along the block. I would also look above that to make sure it isn't the intake gasket or maybe the throttle body heater.

jprover2

Apr 8, 2017
Birmingham,Al
Do you have a coolant system pressure tester and the adaptor to fit the D2? If not you could borrow a pressure test kit from a local parts store, they may have an adaptor to borrow for you but I doubt it. Most parts stores can order it. Once you have these tools, fill the reservoir to the top and pump away. You may have to remove the serpentine belt , fan, water pump pulley but eventually you'll find it. Or you can take it to a shop and pay someone to have all the fun for you.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
If you want to go the pressure tester route, it is the same as a lot of BMWs.

If you don't have coolant leaking about that, it is just the front cover gasket that is leaking. The engine doesn't need to come out to do the job. Sometimes it can be a pain to line the oil pump gears up with the keyway on the crank when you install the front cover, but it isn't too bad. Make sure you put sealant on the long bolts that go into the cooling jackets on the block on reassembly.

gthphotography

Aug 27, 2008
chicago
www.greghanrahan.com
Do you have a coolant system pressure tester and the adaptor to fit the D2? If not you could borrow a pressure test kit from a local parts store, they may have an adaptor to borrow for you but I doubt it. Most parts stores can order it. Once you have these tools, fill the reservoir to the top and pump away. You may have to remove the serpentine belt , fan, water pump pulley but eventually you'll find it. Or you can take it to a shop and pay someone to have all the fun for you.

Thank you. I?m currently looking for a tester. Good idea to pull the fan etc.

gthphotography

Aug 27, 2008
chicago
www.greghanrahan.com

If you don't have coolant leaking about that, it is just the front cover gasket that is leaking. The engine doesn't need to come out to do the job. Sometimes it can be a pain to line the oil pump gears up with the keyway on the crank when you install the front cover, but it isn't too bad. Make sure you put sealant on the long bolts that go into the cooling jackets on the block on reassembly.

Thank you for that info. I just sold the lift too!

The Fourth Amigo

Apr 20, 2009
Check the hose clamp on the water pump outlet (all of the clamps for that matter). I had a leak around there once and it seemed like the fan would blow the coolant around making it more difficult to tell where it was coming from.

jprover2

Apr 8, 2017
Birmingham,Al
Thank you. I?m currently looking for a tester. Good idea to pull the fan etc.

No problem, proper diagnostics of a problem can save time and money. If you do follow this route, when ready to test top off the reservoir with water only. There is no need to waste any more coolant than you have to.

gthphotography

Aug 27, 2008
chicago
www.greghanrahan.com
It looks like there is a residue line from the water jacket of the front cover along the block. I would also look above that to make sure it isn't the intake gasket or maybe the throttle body heater.

There is what looks like some small amount of looking at the top screw of the water pump. However, the leak is at the end of that screw post where it attaches to the front cover. The gasket looks clean from my limited viewing. Building a pressure tester with an old cap as the one at the parts store won?t fit.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Make sure you put sealant on the long bolts that go into the cooling jackets on the block on reassembly.

This is a good suggestion. Permatex makes a specific kind of sealant for this application. It comes in a small, white tube. The RAVE instructions on water pump replacement give exact details.

Also, I encourage you to use new hardware when reinstalling the water pump. I neglected to do this, and sheared off the stud of a long bolt inside the block. I'm still undergoing therapy for the mental trauma this caused.

gthphotography

Aug 27, 2008
chicago
www.greghanrahan.com

What is it about the sealant on the bolt into the water jacket that is important?

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
What is it about the sealant on the bolt into the water jacket that is important?

It may just be the lower long bolt on the driver's side, but I can't remember. Basically the threads of the bolt go into the water jacket of the block. If there is no sealant on the threads, coolant will leak into the crank case, or possibly even externally. I've used Right Stuff, blue Loctite, and that white thread sealant - all work fine. As a side note, whenever I do a cooling system repair on a DII, I always pull that bolt to drain the cooling system without making a huge mess.

gthphotography

Aug 27, 2008
chicago
www.greghanrahan.com
It may just be the lower long bolt on the driver's side, but I can't remember. Basically the threads of the bolt go into the water jacket of the block. If there is no sealant on the threads, coolant will leak into the crank case, or possibly even externally. I've used Right Stuff, blue Loctite, and that white thread sealant - all work fine. As a side note, whenever I do a cooling system repair on a DII, I always pull that bolt to drain the cooling system without making a huge mess.

So then one could argue that the leak could be stopped with a new bolt that is sealed correctly.

gthphotography

Aug 27, 2008
chicago
www.greghanrahan.com
Well, I'm glad that I spent the time to build a pressure tester when I didn't need it. The second picture may have a leak there, but it is nothing compared to the leak from the first picture. That screw is gushing water. Seriously, all i did was fill the expansion tank and water started pouring out. Since it's that bolt, I'm guessing that it's the front cover.
Everyone agree?
Any other ideas?

Thanks to all for the help.

jprover2

Apr 8, 2017
Birmingham,Al
Well, I'm glad that I spent the time to build a pressure tester when I didn't need it. The second picture may have a leak there, but it is nothing compared to the leak from the first picture. That screw is gushing water. Seriously, all i did was fill the expansion tank and water started pouring out. Since it's that bolt, I'm guessing that it's the front cover.
Everyone agree?
Any other ideas?

Thanks to all for the help.

Start with what you see first. There may be other leaks, but until you repair the ones that are obvious you wont know. Also you if you own your D2 long enough you'll be glad you made your own adaptor/tool.