Magnepan SMGa Speakers Stereo Pair $200 plus Shipping

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I'm selling a set of Magnepan speakers.

They aren't even broken in yet, really, but they've been around a while. That said, they do function. I just don't like the sound (broken in or not), nor am I a fan of the tight sweet spot (vertically and horizontally); and certainly not the power required to run them.

If you do like them, however, these are $200 plush shipping. Yes, I'll ship the things, but it probably won't be cheap. This is a buy for someone who really wants a set, but can't find any near them to pick up in person.

If you've never heard them, I wouldn't buy these. They are very unique in the sonic flavor department, and won't be for everyone. I don't think they are appropriate for full orchestra, rock, metal, or any variety of dance/house/dubstep, or anything of the like.

Chamber music, solo artists, and the banjo picking weirdness Snell likes would be fine. I just think the speakers are stupid. It doesn't matter to me how interesting the mids are if a speaker can't accurately reproduce the entire spectrum accurately and flat.

So, if you're some crazy audiophile with a stack of tube amps and a perfectly positioned "serious listening chair" who believes one frequency band is more important than the others for some unfathomable reason, these are for you.

Shitty sales pitch, but I like to sell with honesty at the forefront.

Edit for one more point: You're going to need somewhere between 150 and 300 watts per channel to run these. The more the better. Ignore people who suggest they'll run properly on anything less. They're deluding themselves. If you've got the power already, you're good. If not, expect to drop between $1,000 to $2,000 to drive them worth a damn. This is why I'm not interested in selling to people who aren't already prepared to use them. If you don't like them, you're screwed out of all that processing and amp money. You're also going to need a sub (I'd suggest no more than 10", crossed as high as it will blend, and in a perfect world, I'd suggest one for each channel).

Cheers,

Kennith

ukoffroad

Jan 13, 2010
Lynchburg, Va
FWIW I had a set of Apogees, ran them with an Adcom GFA 555 II amp with no issues, if you need big power that manages a variety of loads. I like Magnepans as well, pondering these.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
FWIW I had a set of Apogees, ran them with an Adcom GFA 555 II amp with no issues, if you need big power that manages a variety of loads. I like Magnepans as well, pondering these.

I can sweeten the deal, as I'd like to move some more equipment.

For another $200 I'll include:

1: Adcom GFA-535

2: Adcom GTP-400

3: Carver TFM-15CB Power Amplifier (one gauge face looks slightly out of position behind glass)

4: Carver HR-895 5 Channel Receiver (one channel crackles intermittently)

5: Niles SVL-6 Speaker Selection/Volume Control System

Haven't really had much time to screw around with it all, which is why I'm just going to sell it. I know that Carver receiver crackles a bit, but most of the stuff is still pretty shiny. I'm just too busy to run around trying to set up another room to run it all. Everything here is integrated already, and I don't have spare source units.

So, expect a couple of hiccups. I've no reason to believe there will be issues with the stuff, but I've no reason to believe there won't, either.

Yes, I'll ship it all and pack it well. Not for free, though... Shipping ain't included. :rofl:

Still, you're not too far away and up one main drag or another. You're about the perfect person to buy this stuff. People out west would encounter prohibitive shipping costs. I'll do my best to keep it cheap, but big is big and heavy is heavy.

Cheers,

Kennith

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
So, if you're some crazy audiophile with a stack of tube amps and a perfectly positioned "serious listening chair" who believes one frequency band is more important than the others for some unfathomable reason, these are for you.
Despite complete (albeit temporary) lack of tube amps and a perfectly-positioned listening chair and preferences for any particular frequency band... I believe those are for me.
... and I already have stage speaker pair for when I need things go loud.
Damn...

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
You know what, I will do that deal. I am in Lynchburg Va, how far away are you?

Between 200 and 250 miles or so.

Unfortunately, some have stopped in before your post there. Didn't mean to slight you, but given the response time I didn't think you were too interested. Not complaining, mind you; I just didn't know, and people were here looking at something else when they spotted the stuff.

I should have posted to check, but I just got caught up in negotiations and forgot. That's on me.

Only had a few seconds to decide whether to take the cash or not and... Well... It was right in front of me. :rofl:

People are coming to look at the Magnepans soon, and a little while back someone cleared out most of the other stuff. There were a few issues, but nothing a little tinkering couldn't sort. One amp had a bad fuse, and worked perfectly once we jumped it for testing.

This is all that's left of the components mentioned:

Adcom GTP-400

I've got some other stuff in this regard, but nothing of interest, really. Got a really neat set of Mission Audio towers, but one of the surrounds encountered a few drips of something at some point or another, then dried and cracked in that spot.

That kind of sucks, because the drivers in there are pretty awesome.

Shoot me a PM with stuff in which you're interested if you like. I'm selling a lot of things right now; not just audio and computers. I'll only be posting a hand-full here over time, as I don't want to clog up Discoweb with stuff that's better suited for different venues.

Cheers,

Kennith