Sign of a dead alternator

ezzzzzzz

Apr 22, 2010
SE Va
I had been out with my 02 D2 in the deep snow for a couple of days recovering people stuck in a variety of situations. On the third day I was driving along when I suddenly heard a series of three bells. It repeated itself maybe 30 seconds apart. I thought it was coming from the radio station until another format came on and the beeping continued. I then got the flashing green gear symbols along with the bells. The truck was going along fine and shifting properly so I kept going.
A mile down the road and I got the three amigos too. I parked the truck at a restaurant to have dinner with my siblings. When I came out it had gotten dark. I started the truck without issue but still had the same bells and all the lights. I knew I had a possible voltage problem when the truck rolled off in third gear. Turning on the lights showed a dim glow out front and in the dash. I parked it, called the wife to retrieve me and left it until the next morning.
I swapped in a used alternator off another truck. The three amigos were gone but not the green gear lights. I drove it about a mile, stuck in third gear, and shutoff/restarted it at each stop light I came to. It finally cleared the lights and shifted normally after battery voltage came up to specs for the transmission controller.
I thought I should post this only to let anyone know that those three bells are LR's answer to a charge light in the dash should it happen to you. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant, those LR engineers.

Last edited: