4 Corner Weights

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
I have heard, maybe in racing circles that that if you know the corner weights of your vehicle you can determine spring rates. If I could find a set of 4 corner scales, they are harder to find than hen's teeth and more expensive, what would that tell me and how would I use that info? I read an estimate of 1500 each for the front and 1000 each in the rear. Does that seem reasonable, not accounting for trail gear, etc.?

So knowing that, what would be the next step? Just trying to learn about suspensions a little.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
corner weight/(Unladen spring length - laden spring length) = spring rate in lb/in

Edit: was backwards

Last edited:

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Do you mean "find the spring rates of your current springs", or "find the springs rates of the springs you would need for a given amount of lift" ?

disco_drum

Jan 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
i mean...just buy some vehicle specific lift springs from a company with a good reputation. Why reinvent the wheel. #swallows

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
If you're doing coilovers, you need curb weights to get in the ball park for spring rates...if memory serves me correct, we found that most of the lift springs were way to generic and thats why some truck handle well and other are like driving a dump truck...

the deputy

Sep 20, 2017
michigan
I've done corner balance/ride height adjustments on vehicles with coil-over suspensions...but I'd have no idea how a person would do this on the coil spring Dl or Dll...especiallly, once you consider loading the vehicle with extra gear.

Not really sure what you're after here?

Brian.

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
Do you mean "find the spring rates of your current springs", or "find the springs rates of the springs you would need for a given amount of lift" ?

Ideally to find out what rate for the lift I would run. The springs on the truck when I bought it were so rusted out that I never did identify them. Next I bought a set of hardly used RTE springs and again I have no idea of their rate and I hear that the rates were not that reliable from that vendor anyway. I am just trying to find something I can buy and have a reasonable assurance that they will perform as advertised. It is a bit of a moving target, I am just trying to add a little science to the results.

The laden v unladen issue I can deal with. I still use it more on road than off.

alpinacsi

Oct 5, 2011
Atlanta
I have heard, maybe in racing circles that that if you know the corner weights of your vehicle you can determine spring rates. If I could find a set of 4 corner scales, they are harder to find than hen's teeth and more expensive, what would that tell me and how would I use that info?

20 years ago there were 3 or 4 main suppliers producing wheel scales for the racing market. We produced so many that most every local circle track race team here in the US had a set themselves or were at their disposal. We seven sold them to gocart and quarter midget racers and it became a staple of equipment that any team would have on hand. Most dirt track teams would not head out to the track without have them packed with their tools and gear.

Knowing how to use them was key and knowing how to properly set them up was very important. I can not tell you how many times I would go to the track and find a team using them with the 4 pads just laid out on the ground to take measurements. They need to be perfectly level with each other and this was often overlooked. I would get calls that readings were different at the track than in the shop and operators wanting to know why; when the car was only transported from one location to another with nothing touched.

Anyway: what I am trying to say is if you want corner weights, you need to find a race team and maybe take some beer to their shop and ask for a little help with setup.

disco_drum

Jan 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
i say just lift each corner with your own strength and give your best estimate. I think that is what the ole "Blue Blue" spring company did and we see how that ended up!

While you are at it, use stock lug nuts with steel wheels and make sure to make a post about what CDL means....