Disco LR3 Suspension lowered, HDC off, Special programs off

Kendal1412

Jul 12, 2017
Durban
Hi all

Really hope someone can give me a bit more advice on my current Disco problems!
I have a 2006 Disco 3, TDV6 HSE
I have read through many of these blogs and threads and found certain points that I check and replaced where needed, but my landy is still giving me the famous Suspension Lowered, its down on access height, HDC off, Special programs off.
Heres what I have done to date:
Replaced the battery and alternator
Replaced all suspension related fuses and relays
Replaced all back bulbs with Land Rover bulbs
Check wiring harnesses in the left wheel arch, the wires going from the front CJB to the rear
Check all earth connections, every single one I could find
Checked all wheel speed sensors
Checked the steering angle sensor.
Diagnostics at the dealership has given no real result of what the issue can be

But my car is still giving me the same error. I don't know what to do anymore.

Something I have noticed is that the + and - battery terminals are loose. I fastened the terminal to the max, but the terminal still swivels around the battery pole. I also noticed that the terminals are hot after driving the car, could a loose swivel connection like that cause a voltage drop that effects the suspension?
Is there something else I need to check?

Your help will be much appreciated!!!

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
You need to get all the vehicle codes read. If your saying it lowers when all those lights come on, you have something going on in your high speed CAN network. I've seen a couple things cause LR3's to go to the bump stops like that. First one and most common is the ABS brake system not responding to other modules on the network. Could be a broken or shorted network wire, power or ground, or the module itself. The other thing I have seen do that is a faulty locking rear diff motor. It's not all the diff motor faults that will bring it to bumpstops. But I know a couple will.

Basically your trucks safety systems aren't happy and it's trying to make itself un driveable. I would recommend showing your truck to someone else. No way in hell did your truck go to the bmpstops and not store a code. Someone just wants you to go away with this nightmare job.

Last edited:

Kendal1412

Jul 12, 2017
Durban
Thanks discostew
I will check for broken wires along the sensors end modules for the ABS. I have a diagram of the ABS and wires leading to components.
I will strip the car this weekend and check if I find wires broken off or a faulty ground somewhere.

I have spend in total nearly 30hours this last month trying to pin point the problem.

The issue I am having is that the diagnostics the dealer did does not pick up any faulty sensors or ecu modules. Its becoming a nightmare!!
But your advice regarding the abs system and the car trying to tell me something is not 100% along the safety side does shed some new light.
I will assess if I find any faults over the weekend and revert back if I do.

Thanks!!

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
You dont need to lay your eyes on the whole circuit. But most important is get a whole vehicle fail code reading and report back what codes are in it.

I have never seen a Land Rover with no codes at all in it. So I suspect someone is ignoring a fault that could be the culprit. These kind of jobs can be a nightmare and a lot of guys would avoid it.

Kendal1412

Jul 12, 2017
Durban
I agree, some guys would rather avoid getting stuck in it to try and resolve the issue.
Like I said, I have spend many hours trying to find the fault, but to be honest I have mostly focused on the suspension related components rather that the ABS, especially wiring.

I will take the car for a full diagnostic again next week. This weekend I will check all my ABS related wires, sensors and ecu.

Thanks again for the advice! I am hoping to get to the bottom of this issue and when I do I will most definitely share my findings!

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Just ask him for a printout. It will have your vin and mileage at the top. Then post up some pics of the pages. I wouldn't rule out the instrument cluster either. Those can really get in your shorts. It's called the gateway because it sits on both med and high speed networks. Codes have to be your first step.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Sounds like a bad brake lamp switch to me. We have had a couple new ones that were bad out of the box, but they can be tested with two multimeters.

Kendal1412

Jul 12, 2017
Durban
Thanks jymmiejamz
I did buy a new one, but like you experienced, it could be bad out of the box.
I will test the one fitted now....

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Then there will be a brake sw corrolation fault. And he said no codes? True s brake switch could cause it, but it would be hard to miss. Even if you tried to ignore it.

Kendal1412

Jul 12, 2017
Durban
So I spend another few hours this weekend on the car.
First, when I started the car Saturday morning, it lifted and there was no errors, suspension 100%. I drove to the dealers, they did a diagnostic and it only gave a Network related error. cant remember the code thou. But they did clear the error.

I found a burnt off earth wire in the back bumper. It comes out of the right hand side tail light. I stripped the bumper off, but couldn't find where it connects to at all.
This morning the car was still up, no faults or error lights. But when I drove, I went over two speed bumps, every time I went over, the amber brake light comes on and then off again. I stopped to put diesel in and when I started the car it went down again and all lights are back on.

Could this be some short on the ABS braking system?

WNYDiscoIIErik

Jan 29, 2006
Clarence, NY
www.lucky8llc.com
It sounds like there is some sort of error between the steering wheel and drivers seat.

I made a post in 2010-2011 about this on mine. Do a search for it, includes some photos of the wires being corroded. Fixed my issues

1920SF

Jan 6, 2007
NoVA
I know you've done a lot of troubleshooting, but for the sake of redundancy and completeness: you checked the wiring along the right side channel (i.e. after you come down the a pillar and start working along the floor of the truck toward the b pillar. Often the wiring there gets wet from clogged sunroof drains, the windshield cowling warping and letting water in, etc-and in turn there is a connector there which will get corroded and cause call kinds of fits that exhibit similiar symptoms to brake light bulbs or brake switches.
r-
Ray

Kendal1412

Jul 12, 2017
Durban
Thanks for everyone's advice!! I found a broken wire. The same as what WHYdiscoIIErik had.
All errors are gone now!!

But another issue came up. I have no errors on the car, it is in access height mode, the compressor runs but not raising the car at all.
I felt and the compressor get extremely hot, it blew the 60amp yellow fuse in the engine bay.
I replaced this fuse, but when starting the car, the compressor comes on but gets extremely hot after a few seconds.

Any ideas what this could be?

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
It is normal for the compressor to run even when the vehicle is not lifting. It is common for the tanks to get a pin hole in them and leak, so that could be causing your compressor to run too much. It could also just be a worn out compressor.

Kendal1412

Jul 12, 2017
Durban
Thanks Jymmiejamz
I will check for leaks and if all is good, get a service kit for the compressor.

I also read that it could be the block valve? I will check this as well.
Something I noticed is that the wheel height sensors on the 4x4 info screen flashes red. It is on all the wheels, and when you start driving it goes to different wheels, not consistant on 1 wheel or on all 4.

Last edited:

Kendal1412

Jul 12, 2017
Durban
Hi All

An update on my findings this weekend!
I noticed that my park sensors isn't always working. After checking wires again from the CJB to the ABS module, suspension ecu, transmission ecu, I found no faults.
However, when I unplugged the park sensor module, the car cleared all errors! lifted, and no issues!
My 60 amp suspension fuse did blow twice,, but after replacing, it all seems fine.
I have also cleaned the dryer filter on the compresses.

Holding thumbs all is sorted now!