07' LR3 vehicle fault message

Roverfire

Jan 2, 2005
Casper,WY
So my 07' LR3 HSE started unlocking the doors while driving and displaying this on the radio screen. I decided to replace the battery since it was 5 years old and when tested it was weak. I also replaced the brake light switch. Thought the problem was solved because it was fine for a few days and then while driving today it did the same thing. Any suggestions?

Apr 20, 2004
Floyd, Virginia
Bad CD Collection?

nah... just kidding.

Check your passenger side floor board area for Water. Bet you have clogged drain tubes on the Sunroof and have water getting in

Unfortunately that truck has a domino effect in the Canbus system so you need to go through pull the codes/clear the codes and find out which ones come back...

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Its your med speed can network that's going down. You can find a lot of info about how can networks work. Some network issues can be pretty simple , sometimes not so much. It's going to come down to making some measurements on the network and reading vehicle faults to figure out what modules are not responding. Your mostly going to be looking for other modules saying they lost coms to your problem module. The modules can be not turned on because of a loss of battery voltage or it could be awake but the network wires are either broken or shorted.

The med speed is at terminals 3 and 11 on the diagnostic connector. I measure the voltage on the network first with the key on or running better still. You should have pretty close to 2.6 volts on term. 3 and a little less on term. 11 like 2.3. If that's ok then I shut it off and disconnect the pos. battery cable and measure resistance from 3 to 11, then from each of those to ground. You want to see 60 ohms between 3 and 11. You should see about 2K to 3K ohms to ground.

Roverfire

Jan 2, 2005
Casper,WY
Checked the floorboards for water and both side are dry. I pulled some faults with my IIDTool. I'll try and post the results.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
It could be the inst. cluster. I wouldn't call it common but it happens. The cluster is the gateway in your system. Gateway means that modules on the high speed network that need info from something on the med speed it goes thru the inst. cluster. It kind of sits on both networks. The Trans and ECM and the ABS and the Steering Angle sensor are all on the high speed. But I'm sure its your med. speed going down because your door locks cycle when it happens.

What usually happens when the cluster takes a shit is the voltages get pined pretty close together. Normally they have about 2.6 volts on pin 3 and 2.3 volts on pin 11. A bad cluster will make both of those voltages get pinned at about 2.5 volts. I like to unplug the cluster and plug in a different cluster while the cars acting up. It won't start because of the security system, but the can voltages and pattern on a scope come back to normal.

Colin hughes

May 4, 2004
Cannington, Ontario
I had some of those codes before, lost comm with inst cluster. My issue was the Canbus wires running through the drivers side rear wheel arch. Since I added the Land Rover extra sleeve last summer, this winter the salt didn't get to those wires.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I had some of those codes before, lost comm with inst cluster. My issue was the Canbus wires running through the drivers side rear wheel arch. Since I added the Land Rover extra sleeve last summer, this winter the salt didn't get to those wires.

The high speed can goes thru the body and into the wheel well in the left rear corner. Wires getting shorted is one of the more common CAN bus problem.

Roverfire

Jan 2, 2005
Casper,WY
This one had issues like this car. that yellow with Blue stripe wire is connected to term 11 in the diagnostic connector.

The OBDII port?
Also today when I went to start it after driving it the doors started locking and unlocking as soon as I put the key in. When I tried to start it nothing happened. It was like a low battery but none of the lights dimmed or went out. It was like the ignition switch was dead. I removed the key and tried starting it several times and after about 3-4 times of doing this it started right up. Also are clusters from all LR3's the same?

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Clusters should be the same. Some of the guys on the board talk about a scan tool that can program a used cluster to a car. The equipment we use in dealerships wont do it. I think I would get with Will Tillery or drill bit and see if one of those guys can help you out with getting a used one. I'm not sure what scan tool they used, but I'm told it can be done.

Roverfire

Jan 2, 2005
Casper,WY
Update: I purchased a used cluster from eBay. It was a 05'-06' cluster even though mine is a 07'. I purchased the fast lane service from GAP and installed the cluster using my IIDTool without any problems. The only thing is you need to purchase a cluster with lower mileage than your current one as they can only increase the mileage and not lower it when flashing the cluster. It's been installed about a week now and it seems to have solved my problems. I'll report back if anything changes.