OBD reader can't/won't read codes?

cdmbrennan

Feb 23, 2005
Creve Coeur, Missouri
Hey all,

CEL is on- I plugged in the OBDII reader but it won't even power up. I know it's not the OBD reader, so--- what could it be? Is there a fuse that powers the "reader" outlet? I didn't see as much in the manual.

Thanks!

lordkenyon

Oct 24, 2005
A
Any of the pins bent? Wouldn't hurt to check all the fuses I suppose. Sorry can't be more help.

onefishman

Nov 25, 2005
Timaru, New Zealand
Yep.....got the same problem on a late 1996 D1.
Spent hours checking the OBD2 connector and traced out every single wire back from the connector. Checked for continuity, checked all connectors in between.
Gave up in the end, have been able to connect an OBD2 scanner.

lordkenyon

Oct 24, 2005
A
It may take some digging (or it might be in RAVE Electrical diagrams), but the pin layout for the OBDII port is around here somewhere. If I recall there's a constant power port (mine powers on when no key present/OFF) and check if it's getting power (btw, this has to be fused somewhere).

lunchbox

Apr 20, 2004
St Louis, MO
I had the same problem a while back. Ended up bypassing the power on the plug. I have the electrical diagram if you need it. Mine has worked fine since...odd? Shoot me an email, and I will see if I can shoot the diagram back to you.

Chad

Dan Erickson

May 27, 2005
Cincinnati, Ohio
Is this on a D1 or D2?

I know on my D2, there are at least 4 different systems. Engine, gearbox, body control and ABS/SLS.

I am not so sure a normal OBD2 reader is going to read the faults with all these systems (some codes are Rover specific). For example, I have had the MIL light up for a gearbox fault. Using the Rovacom (I bought the 4 different modules listed above), I was not able to clear it with the Engine Management module (it would not read the fault). It was not until I scanned it with the Gearbox module, that I found it.

It may be that it is somthing that has to be scanned at the dealer with Testbook, or by someone with a rovacom or something like that.

Peace,

Dan

cdmbrennan

Feb 23, 2005
Creve Coeur, Missouri
Nah, no testbook necessary- just your all-standard check engine light. The OBD outlet is obviously not getting power as the reader won't even boot up, nevermind read/erase codes.

Of course, in true LR fashion my CEL went out last night (engine prob misfired a week ago and it just reset) but I'm sure the power issue is still there.

Chad- if you've got the diagram on how you bypassed the power I'd like to see it...cdmbrennan at yahoo. if it's not readily at hand no prob, not a huge issue right now.

Thanks all!!

mspeters

Dec 1, 2004
el dorado hills, ca.
I have same problem on '97. Finally got my first ever CEL illumination.

An Auto X-ray unit shows a "connected" status, but is unable to read codes. It appears it is not seeing power when the ignition is turned-on based on teh error message. Problem is not the scanner. I have checked the connections at the socket-end.

Two questions:
1) Should I do the power bypass to the ODB socket ?
2) where does ODBII socket power originate from? computer or ignition switch or an infamous colored relays?

Lutzgaterr

Apr 23, 2004
LUTZ, Florida
Great idea about new power source. Mine has been dead for over a year but then again, I did not trace each wire very carefully. Hell, she runs fine regardless of that damn CEL illuminated. I do however need to resolve this since other issues will arise.

mogindo

Nov 20, 2012
Indonesia
There is no reason for me to pull the fuses of disable the ABS, its my daily commuter.
But does Scanning imply that there is no power going to the scanner? Is it the same fuse as the ABS? My ABS is fine (tested it :( latelly.