electric cooling fans

rover4x4

Apr 21, 2004
North Carolina, Raleigh
Has anyone installed these on thier trucks? I have only really considered the flexalite variety?? Any noticablke benefits of not having the VC fan being run off the motor? was it a bitch to install? thanks

Pugsly

Banned
Apr 20, 2004
www.roverautomotive.com
I put in the flaxalite, it is a nice easy kit, including electronics and a fully adjustable thermostat. As an all-in-one package that fits nicely up against the stock radiator I found the option hard to beat.

D

discojoe

:confused: Why the change? Other than ability to turn it off with a switch for deep water crossings what advantage is offered by the electrics? What fuel mileage improvement is expected?

dirtyjim

Apr 28, 2004
drunk, in a bar(alvin,texas)
i would stick with the VC instead of switching to electric fans.get you a HD fan clutch for a 98 chevy blazer 4.3 v-6 $65.00, a derale p/n 17917 ss fan from summit racing $30.00 & if your planning on deep water get you a radiator guard from bc broncos $35.00.about the same price as a good electric fan setup would cost

D

Discodon

Quite common thing over here - rip out 2 electric fans from any large vehicle in the scrap-heap (big ford fans are popular), fabricate a mount system for them and rig one up thermostatically and the other to a manual switch inside the cab. the 1 fan provides ample cooling for daily driving while the second is cut-in and used for slow offroading.

There are fuel savings to be had doing this - not very much but some. The other saving is your starter motor. There is a LOT less drag in turning the engine over with the viscous unit removed.

D

discostu

In addition the electrics might net you better throttle response and might make the vehicle feel more powerful. Not sure how much the hp loss is with the stock belt-driven rover fans. I can cool my rodded small block better with electric fans than I could with the non-electrical setup recomended by the machine shop.