Disco 1 price curve

YellowIron

Jan 28, 2018
Michigan
Don't flatter yourself. I've written you off as an idiot. Just trying to get the real value on a Disco. Not your stupid ass pipe dream. I only got one sentence into your post. So shove the rest up your ass.

I'm not trying to flatter myself. The farm I work on is telling me to write this stuff. I am just following orders and trying to be a good comrade.

Apparently all of your shitposting in the Trump thread really ruffled some feathers.

This picture should clear things up a bit for you.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Same for a RRC - maybe worse because of the steel subframe the body attaches to.

Is there anything one can do to prevent this on a D1 other than not driving it?

I'm so paranoid on the RRC that it never ever gets driven during the Winter except on the driveway.

Both are in a heated garage so at least they are dry.

Thanks!

I don't think even that would solve it completely. With the classics your into a few years they didn't treat the hardware cause something about the process was bad for the environment. Jags had the same shit in those years. Classics started rusting out after 4 years.

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
Thanks for the insight.

Well, it is all I have plus cleaning the underside afterwards whenever I drive them.

So far, knocking on wood as I write this, both are in good shape rust wize from what I can tell.

The RRC was taken apart for a respray before taking it to Europe so know that is pretty rust free.

My mechanic on the D1 tells me everything that he has worked on was rust free, yet, that is the mechanical side.

Short of never driving them it is the best I can do.

Thx again.

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
Exactly and agree with you.

Will though continue to try and keep them from the tin worms.

The use of salt and even worse liquid calcium mixture takes them off the road for the Winter. They go into hibernation in the garage for the most part of Winter.

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
Was there any work done besides the usual flipper changing fluids?

I think BAT is a joke now.

BAT is very trendy for sure, lots and lots of snark and less and less "car guy" though they do come out and add to the commentary for unique vehicles.

From what I can tell the seller didn't do anything other than:

1: move it to a more sell-friendly location.
2: put it on BAT for a wider audience (over the niche Expedition Portal)

The seller did, however, stay very involved in the auction process, answered all kinds of questions and did it smogged in CA. The fact it sold just a couple months ago wasn't hidden either. There's some dude on there named Michael who is apparently all angry that it was sold by a "flipper" and tried to drive down the price by pointing out it had just sold on ExPo and is now on ExPo telling people to beware of "flippers"

If some dude buys a car low and sells high, more power to him.

Personally I hope it starts dragging D1 prices up out of the gutter, at least the well-kept rust free examples.

BDM

May 23, 2005
OR
Anyone have the old link to the BaT disco? I?m interested to see what a $22k Disco looks like

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
That 1989 Land Rover 130 they just listed on BAT looks interesting, but man if they're going to install a new 4.0 Gems motor why not clean it up a bit and that rats nest wiring with plastic non waterproofed splicers from Auto Zone gives me the willies....and it's already up to $4500 and will probably go for three times the 1997 Discovery....

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
Surely yours will go for more than the red one AbnMike - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1996-land-rover-discovery-4/

We shall see. If it doesn't meet reserve I have no problems keeping it. It's just in the way.

I'm really only selling it because I don't want to be the one who is holding the title when a rust free Discovery turns into a rusty piece of tin worm crap from all the salt they put on the roads here in WV.

It sat in my garage all this winter until I pulled it out for sale, to even get it in the garage I have to air out the tires to 0 PSI and still have the wife push the garage door up. I could remove the rack and it would fit, but then I'd be tempted to jump in and drive it, which then results in it rusting to pieces.

Seriously people talk about coal run off into streams and these motherfuckers pretty much just run around with dump trucks unloading salt anytime it gets cloudy and there's a chance of precipitation December through April. I miss Montana where you simply drove on the snow on side roads, and they just plowed the main ones, without all the salt bullshit.

I'm surprised the local lakes don't have Swordfish and Lobsters in them instead of Bass.

If it doesn't sell I may mention over there I'm open to some kind of trade that doesn't take up my entire garage for 4 months out of the year...