Hello, I'm new here...and I have bought a Disco 2

bradartigue

Mar 7, 2018
Sandy Springs, Georgia
Hello everyone,

I'm Brad Artigue, a long time restorer of much smaller cars (FIATs, Alfas) and once prior owner of a Discovery II. Now I've found myself buying a new used 2000 Discovery II SD. It has a Terra Firma lift kit installed of a height I'm trying to determine (seems quite high) and it had a few neglected items (mainly worn out emissions parts). Otherwise it is a solid truck all around.

I'm hoping to address a few concerns if folks can help. Mainly, the lift kit has it at least 2" higher than stock, maybe more (see pic) and I need to measure the height vs. stock. In any case the steering has suffered from the lift, and there is a little vibration at moderate and high speed. I don't really need the lift, though I kind of like it, and am wondering if the 3 degree radius arms and the double-U-joint driveshaft will solve the steering and suspension issues. Alternatively I could buy stock height springs if I can use them with my terra firma shocks. Any thoughts?

I'm chasing the lean mode OBD codes after solving problems with the 02 sensors (all four were cheap non-stock and threw two codes each), MAF, and finally I'll replace the injector seals and plenum gasket. Figure I'd replace all of this 18 year old stuff. I also get the ABS code and need to address it. question - because I have to pass emissions in GA - does the ABS code throw the SES? It seems to remain in the queue but doesn't trip the SES unless something else happens.

Thanks and I'm happy to be here! If you own a classic FIAT I moderate a forum called mirafiori, please join.

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
Have you had the tires balanced and are they the correct PSI? Overinflated PSI in these can lead to all kinds of steering wonkiness, esp if the fronts are overinflated.

Just saying, before you start looking at the expensive stuff, check the easy stuff. Many people don't balance their wheels because they're either ignorant or lazy.

bradartigue

Mar 7, 2018
Sandy Springs, Georgia
Good point. The tires are nearly new but I shouldn't assume that means balance. Though in this case it is a repeatable vibration like a driveshaft. Tire inflation I did not check but I will.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
At this point in its life, All the bushings are worn out. Including Ball joints. Id go over all the bushings on the truck and make sure non have completely failed. Looks like a 3" lift to me.

bradartigue

Mar 7, 2018
Sandy Springs, Georgia
It appears the bushings and joints are new, the shocks, springs, steering damper, etc. are new-ish as well. From what I know the previous owner knew how to do everything but maintain the driveshaft, it broke free and tore up the transfer case. All replaced with new parts.

Would a 3" lift make it steer a bit vague? I'll check the tire pressure this weekend.

coop74

Dec 10, 2015
Alcoa TN
It appears the bushings and joints are new, the shocks, springs, steering damper, etc. are new-ish as well. From what I know the previous owner knew how to do everything but maintain the driveshaft, it broke free and tore up the transfer case. All replaced with new parts.

Would a 3" lift make it steer a bit vague? I'll check the tire pressure this weekend.

A lift with out castor correction can make the steering feel vague...

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
I always run about 10 psi lower front than rear....been running 40 psi front and 50 psi rear for years now and the D2 seems to like it. Mismatched pressure or over-pressure can really make these things wander all over the road.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I personally like old man emu brand springs, Expedition Exchange has a good description of each spring and what to expect from them. Post up when you get closer to a spring decision and we could give you a little more guidance. I like just a little lift myself and then I can avoid the double cardin front shaft. If you ever saw the damage done to the side of the trans when one of those lets go you might feel the same way.

I think your going to find the parts are easier to find for these than the cars you restored in the past. The great thing about putting one of these together is you can find parts trucks cheap, or people willing to give up stuff from a parts truck they have laying around.

bradartigue

Mar 7, 2018
Sandy Springs, Georgia
Any idea if these terra firma shocks can be used with a shorter spring? I guess I?ll have to crawl under and figure which ones they are, all I see now is the brand name and HD. I?m thinking simply bringing it down to a more reasonable height may be the ticket. Otherwise it seems I?m nickel and diming myself into more and more parts just to maintain a high rise, which I don?t think I?ll need (though it does have a certain prominence!)

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Otherwise it seems I?m nickel and diming myself into more and more parts just to maintain a high rise, which I don?t think I?ll need (though it does have a certain prominence!)

It's good to be honest with yourself. Lots of guys lift their trucks to look cool but then never use them off road. If you don't have experience with Land Rovers off road, you may be surprised at how capable they are in stock configuration.

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
I always run about 10 psi lower front than rear....been running 40 psi front and 50 psi rear for years now and the D2 seems to like it. Mismatched pressure or over-pressure can really make these things wander all over the road.

My sweet spot is 28 f and 32 r when cold and unloaded but that's a jacked up D1.

Higher than that in the front and I wander all over the place.

bradartigue

Mar 7, 2018
Sandy Springs, Georgia
I’ve reached either that blissful or sad apex in life where I’m not worried about the look. It handles like garbage on the interstate! My main concern stems from weight - I have an ARB front bumper, will the stock setup be okay with the additional weight up front?

Off-road use is limited to fairly smooth conditions, like farms and hills and rock roads. No rock crawling or rut jumping.

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
Though in this case it is a repeatable vibration like a driveshaft.

Did you check/rebuild the front driveshaft? Those are notorius for the u-joints drying out (the double cardon closest to the transfer case) and going kaboom!

A vibe is the first sign.

bradartigue

Mar 7, 2018
Sandy Springs, Georgia
New driveshaft, transfer case, bushings, joints. Freshly sealed motor and transmission. It’s just the ride height that I think causes the issues, whoever put on the kit to lift it did 50% of the job apparently, didn’t install the radius arms or correct driveshaft for the height.

Or so I surmise, this is all fairly new to me. Thanks!

finnarne

Feb 4, 2015
Norway
What size are the tires? Not that it should matter when it comes to vibrations. What about the rear driveshaft, and the rubber donut there, what state is it 8in (or is it replaced with u-joint)
Do you have coils front and rear?

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Out of curiosity the vendors sell a replacement driveshaft for lifted discos, is it a double-double u joint?

I mis spoke when I told you I prefer the single u joint set up in front prop shaft. The Disco 2 had the double cardin from the factory and I'm not sure about changing it out to the other. I've worked on thousands but never owned a D2.

I think you will be much happier with the truck at closer to stock height. But you should look at what Old Man Emu offers instead of stock springs. They are much like stock springs but you can get different spring rates and what have you. Also the descriptions they give on what to expect from the spring are helpfull.

https://expeditionexchange.com/shop?olsPage=t/old-man-emu

alpinacsi

Oct 5, 2011
Atlanta
I have a 2002 that was lifted with a Terafirma 2” medium duty kit in Jan ‘17 and I decided I wanted to go to 3”. Since I had already purchased the 2” kit I decided for now I was just going to add spacers for an additional inch. I added the spacers in Oct. Anyway if you are interested in doing any trading; maybe we can work something out. I am in Alpharetta/Cumming and have less than 4000 miles on my kit.