Car is a 98 D1

What replacements are recommended?
Don't need anything fancy - the stock one has a label
for 100amps and has served me well

Thx in advance

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
The ones from rockauto work well enough, though I've never had a rover alternator charge higher than 13.9v while D2 alternators seem to hit 14.2-14.4 consistently. Its an odd footprint so there isn't anything else that bolts up without custom brackets.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
The ones from rockauto work well enough, though I've never had a rover alternator charge higher than 13.9v while D2 alternators seem to hit 14.2-14.4 consistently. Its an odd footprint so there isn't anything else that bolts up without custom brackets.

Go with Will's used one. No question. After market alternators for these cars are usually a problem.

Levi

Jul 27, 2004
Cheyenne, WY
Save your old one and have it rebuilt and then keep the one from Will for a spare. I had mine rebuilt about 15 years ago and it's still going. I've never had good luck with chain store alternators no matter what vehicle.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
... or, you can buy yourself bearings and regulator, and rebuild it yourself in forty minutes' time.

Disclaimer: it took me a long time to find a regulator for serpentine-belt alternators, and IIRC I bought mine from BPUtah.com . It is more expensive than a used alternator, but, at least, you have a little longer life expectancy.

One nice way to go about it is to buy a used alternator, and rebuild both - so you'll have one good unit in the truck and one on the shelf.

best4x4

Mar 1, 2015
Beaumont, TX
Slap in a P38 95-98 GEMS alternator and call it a day. I have had very good results with alternators/starters made by Parts Player. I installed a P38 GEMS Parts Player alternator into my 98 D1 LSE and it went 3 years of flawless service up to me selling it, and I haven't heard a complaint from the new owner. When I bought my 98 D1 LSE the previous owner had slapped in a unit from Auto Zone and it lasted maybe 2 months before it died on me.

Grenade

Oct 8, 2015
Vegas
... or, you can buy yourself bearings and regulator, and rebuild it yourself in forty minutes' time.

Disclaimer: it took me a long time to find a regulator for serpentine-belt alternators, and IIRC I bought mine from BPUtah.com . It is more expensive than a used alternator, but, at least, you have a little longer life expectancy.

One nice way to go about it is to buy a used alternator, and rebuild both - so you'll have one good unit in the truck and one on the shelf.

I did this as well, as I've got the 95 which has a different regulator than the other D1's.

Has worked very well, but may upgrade to a P38 next time in the JY.