Aftermarket trailer connection / blinking trailer lamp

bradartigue

Mar 7, 2018
Sandy Springs, Georgia
Hello,

My prior Disco 2 had a factory wiring harness for the trailer. I do not recall the trailer lamp coming on unless a trailer was hooked up. On my new old Disco 2 the owner wired in a harness and the trailer light blinks whenever I use the blinkers, trailer or not. The type of connection is one of those that has the little lights on it, handy when seeing if the harness is working but I think it makes the Disco think a trailer is installed.

Barring spending $700 on the OEM kit is there a work-around anyone knows of?

THanks

B

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
Just curious, why's it a big deal if the trailer light blinks when the turn signal goes on? I mean if there's no other symptoms, and the wiring harness works with a trailer, why spend $700 to get rid of a blinking light?

bradartigue

Mar 7, 2018
Sandy Springs, Georgia
Perhaps you can call it a sad obsession derived from owning too many Italian cars with their various electrical anomalies. I like things to work the way they are designed, or at least understand why they are not. In this car I suspect the harness-mounted indicator lights (on the plug itself are little LEDs, one for left, one for right, one for brakes) are messing with the little trailer light indicator.

A better way for me to ask the question is does anyone else have one of these types of harness and do you get the same result (blinking trailer light whenever the blinker is turned on, with or without a trailer)?

JohnB

Oct 18, 2007
Oregon
My factory unit had similar trailer blinking light.
I couldn't find an adapter when I needed a pull something so I replaced with a pretty cheap unit from U-Haul. Light does not blink with the new harness when pulling in use.

When I yanked out the factory unit I pulled the cover off the relay it was all full of water and rotted. Think this is why my light would blink from time to time. It never did it all the time just from time to time.