iPhone

varova87

Mar 21, 2006
Texas
Due to getting married in May, I'm switching over to Verizon from AT&T because that's where the lady is, and she likes it. I don't necessarily want to make the switch right now, but I might as well.

I have a white 16gb iPhone 3gs that has spent it's entire life in an Otterbox case. The phone itself is less than a year old. It seriously almost looks brand new because of living in the case. I don't have a camera to take pics, but can track one down this weekend. These things seem to be going for over $300 on ebay.

Anyone want this thing for, oh I don't know... $275 to your door? Please note I'll have to activate a new Verizon account before I can cancel my AT&T contract and ship the phone.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
This is the phone you'll want to buy. South Sudan proof.

Land Rover S1 Specification
Fully submersible to a depth of one metre
Survives being dropped onto hard surfaces from up to two metres
Extra-Loud speakers for use in extremely noisy environments
Extra-long battery life with over 1500 hours of standby time and 18
hours of talk time
Durable keyboard mechanics and extra-wide buttons for ease of use
Keypad buttons tested to over 500,000 pushes
Completely dust and micro-particle resistant – IP-67 Rated
Resistant to road shocks and vibrations to over 2000 random
vibrations in the 500Hz range
Operational under temperatures from -20° to 55° C
Resistant to extreme pressure up to 400kg
Resistant to punctures at 75kg/cm2 of pressure.
Three year unconditional guarantee

varova87

Mar 21, 2006
Texas
I'd hate to see the price tag on that. Probably even puts a new iphone to shame.

If these things weren't worth so much, I'd jailbreak it and keep it for an Africa phone. But for what they're bringing, I'd rather sell it and keep using my cheap Motorola.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
varova87 said:
If these things weren't worth so much, I'd jailbreak it and keep it for an Africa phone. But for what they're bringing, I'd rather sell it and keep using my cheap Motorola.

A personal anecdote of relevance: a couple years ago when my wife and I renewed our ATT contract I went with the new $20 POS phone. Took a lot of grief for my cheapo phone but I knew that when the day came that it broke or I lost it, I would have the last laugh.

Sure enough, one day while getting into my Disco I reached into my pocket for my keys and my phone went flying when I pulled them out. It bounced into the street where it was immediately run over by a car. No big deal, I definitely got my $ worth. Next day at the phone store I asked for the $20 phone again. Turns out there was a FREE phone option. Even better. Now I have the free phone and no worries.

As for taking stuff to Sudan, rounding up some used phones would be a great idea. Provided they'll work over there those things would make excellent gifts. Or at least a decoy for when you get held up/stopped at a road checkpoint.

Tugela said:
This is the phone you'll want to buy. South Sudan proof.

Land Rover S1 Specification
Fully submersible to a depth of one metre
Survives being dropped onto hard surfaces from up to two metres
Extra-Loud speakers for use in extremely noisy environments
Extra-long battery life with over 1500 hours of standby time and 18
hours of talk time
Durable keyboard mechanics and extra-wide buttons for ease of use
Keypad buttons tested to over 500,000 pushes
Completely dust and micro-particle resistant – IP-67 Rated
Resistant to road shocks and vibrations to over 2000 random
vibrations in the 500Hz range
Operational under temperatures from -20° to 55° C
Resistant to extreme pressure up to 400kg
Resistant to punctures at 75kg/cm2 of pressure.
Three year unconditional guarantee

AfiRover spent STUPID money on not one, but two of those.

After he broke the second supposedly unbreakable phone, they stopped accepting warranty claims.

Paul Grant

Sep 8, 2004
CT
I sold my two iPhone 3G's on eBay last summer when the iPhone 4 came out. I got $225 for one going to Australia and $235 for the other going to Thailand. That didn't include shipping, of course and basically made the upgrade free for both phones.

I would put it on eBay and see what someone overseas is willing to pay for a 3GS.

gabriel

Nov 16, 2007
York, Me
Email push currently doesn't work correctly on Verizon's network yet. Not sure it's important to you but if it is you may want to wait to switch.

Gabriel

knewsom

Jul 10, 2008
La Mancha, CA
ATT phones only work overseas if they're unlocked, which ATT refuses to do, and you CAN do it yourself if your phone is running certain versions of the software... some recent updates disabled the ability to unlock it.

I turned my old 3G into an iPod touch for my 3 year old, he loves that thing.

varova87

Mar 21, 2006
Texas
gabriel said:
Email push currently doesn't work correctly on Verizon's network yet. Not sure it's important to you but if it is you may want to wait to switch.

Gabriel

It is very important, I appreciate the heads up. Definitely going to try and wait a few weeks to see what other bugs arise.

Rugbier

Jun 17, 2008
People's Republic of Marylandistan
knewsom said:
ATT phones only work overseas if they're unlocked, which ATT refuses to do, and you CAN do it yourself if your phone is running certain versions of the software... some recent updates disabled the ability to unlock it.

I turned my old 3G into an iPod touch for my 3 year old, he loves that thing.

Actually any version of Iphone is Jailbreakable and unlockable.... even the new Verizon iPhone is ( don't ask me how I know *LOL* )

gabriel

Nov 16, 2007
York, Me
varova87 said:
It is very important, I appreciate the heads up. Definitely going to try and wait a few weeks to see what other bugs arise.
I actually found a work around. I have an exchange backend so this may not work with google. Create a new folder in outlook and create a rule that runs on the inbox to move all messages to the new folder. Push will work then but not on just mail delivered to the inbox alone. Strange but works...

Gabriel