Disco 5: Let the depression set in

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
So You would sell this Discovery to buy a transverse mounted mini van shaped like a Range Rover Sport. I think you guys should drive stuff before you jump to these conclusions. The goal was to build a truck that outperforms the LR4 in every way. Everybody I know who has driven it is very impressed. I would go drive one.

I was being flippant. I would be very grateful if someone were to give me a Discovery. And I wouldn't sell it to buy an Explorer. (Though I might sell it to buy a new project D2 with all the necessary gear.)

What I and a number of others are saying, simply, is that we don't like the way it looks. More so, we are disappointed in the way it looks. I realize nobody cares, least of all Land Rover, but it's still a shame. Regardless, I still hold hope for the new Defender. Every time I pass a Jeep dealer, or see a Hummer, or pass a spotless , street-lifted Rubicon driving down the road, I shake my head about LRs inability to grab a nice chunk of that market.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Its not their INABILITY to grab the market, its their UNWILLINGNESS to do so. That's the saddest part.

I was being flippant. I would be very grateful if someone were to give me a Discovery. And I wouldn't sell it to buy an Explorer. (Though I might sell it to buy a new project D2 with all the necessary gear.)

What I and a number of others are saying, simply, is that we don't like the way it looks. More so, we are disappointed in the way it looks. I realize nobody cares, least of all Land Rover, but it's still a shame. Regardless, I still hold hope for the new Defender. Every time I pass a Jeep dealer, or see a Hummer, or pass a spotless , street-lifted Rubicon driving down the road, I shake my head about LRs inability to grab a nice chunk of that market.

stu454

Dec 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
They've chosen their market. And, so far, it's paying off.

We sound like a bunch of old fuckers sitting on a porch bitching about how Cokes used to cost a nickel and music is too loud now.

The D5 is growing on me. If they don't offer a winch package as shown on one of the test trucks, I'll know they're done with the off pavement crowd.

Whatever. I love my LR3 and would replace it with another one if a tree fell on it tonight.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
If they don't offer a winch package as shown on one of the test trucks, I'll know they're done with the off pavement crowd.

Wait, what? What indicates they still are an "off pavement crowd" platform? Because they have 4 wheel drive, 2 speed transfer cases and commercials with bi-curious men flying gliders?

They have been circling the drain in terms of their "off road" branding - I think we all know it's a lifestyle brand at this point with very little to substantiate a real foot hold in the off road world. Adding a winch does little to change that.

I mean a sub $30K Jeep Renegade Trail Hawk is more off road focused than ANYTHING LR currently has. Have a look at what "extras" Jeep upsells to their customers vs. Land Rover - here's a hint - it's skid plates and winches vs. cufflinks and luggage. It's embarrassing.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
A diesel 8 speed 4wd Miata is still a fuckin Miata.

qF0aY6H.jpg

Last edited:

Mike_Rupp

Mar 26, 2004
Mercer Island, WA
They've chosen their market. And, so far, it's paying off.

We sound like a bunch of old fuckers sitting on a porch bitching about how Cokes used to cost a nickel and music is too loud now.

The D5 is growing on me. If they don't offer a winch package as shown on one of the test trucks, I'll know they're done with the off pavement crowd.

Whatever. I love my LR3 and would replace it with another one if a tree fell on it tonight.

I've moved on. I bought a Toyota. I doubt I'll ever buy another Land Rover.

JackW

Mar 17, 2005
Lots of room in front of the V-6 turbodiesel - looks like room enough for the Ingenium inline 6 cylinder

Open rear hatch and fold down seats for a much bigger cargo area than the Range Rover Sport

Mike_Rupp

Mar 26, 2004
Mercer Island, WA
How many of you are in the market for a new Disco? In fact, how many of you have an LR that's less than 10 years old. They don't give a shit what a guy who drives a 1999 disco and fixes his own stuff thinks.

I was in the market for a new SUV. I didn't get a Land Rover.

jwest

May 28, 2006
WA & NC
Lots of room in front of the V-6 turbodiesel - looks like room enough for the Ingenium inline 6 cylinder

Open rear hatch and fold down seats for a much bigger cargo area than the Range Rover Sport

LOL why are you comparing how small it is inside to a smaller even more useless Range Rover Sport? It's also way bigger than the Evoque, but so what!

The fact is the cargo area in practical sense has been reduced from the lr3. It's pure shit now, floor isn't really level, sides lean in, roof is a lot lower and tapered. It's shit, even from basic view of hauling stuff.

They've made it so easy now, if you are buying new and 'do' nothing, buy this Disco 5, if you 'do' stuff, buy a Land Cruiser.

The D5 has become a very off-road wanna-be capable station wagon. I say wanna-be because how serious can it ever really get in truth while sporting at least 20" wheels.

I bought my lr3 new. Apparently it's my last new Land Rover. I'm glad to be rid of the dilemma I used to have. It'll be much simpler going forward with Land Cruiser 200 in a few years.

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
Even for those, like myself, who appreciate LR's new offerings for what they are rather than what they are not: extremely luxurious, smooth-riding, uniquely styled, relatively capable, high-end AWD SUVs with low range - the D5 still falls short in that it's styled after a Ford Explorer and presents nothing of the distinct styling of the RR series (which now includes five unique models and varying levels of trim, all sharing a similar and coherent look). The next vehicle I buy will undoubtedly be some manner of RR, but wouldn't consider a D5. I find it hard to believe that this sentiment is unique among potential high-end SUV shoppers. Even among non-enthusiasts, who wants an LR that can't be casually identified as an LR? Or that can be mistaken, unbadged or from the side, for an Explorer? Oh well, the comparative sales figures will speak for themselves. A Velar, on the other hand, demonstrates (to me, at least) that LR can still design an attractive new model.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
I've heard from people "in the know" that Rover designed the LR5 before Ford designed the Explorer, but Ford beat them to production.
My response is shame on Land Rover for designing something that Ford would want to copy.
I've also heard the "all vehicles look alike now due to CAFE standards", which is also utter BS.

Even for those, like myself, who appreciate LR's new offerings for what they are rather than what they are not: extremely luxurious, smooth-riding, uniquely styled, relatively capable, high-end AWD SUVs with low range - the D5 still falls short in that it's styled after a Ford Explorer and presents nothing of the distinct styling of the RR series (which now includes five unique models and varying levels of trim, all sharing a similar and coherent look). The next vehicle I buy will undoubtedly be some manner of RR, but wouldn't consider a D5. I find it hard to believe that this sentiment is unique among potential high-end SUV shoppers. Even among non-enthusiasts, who wants an LR that can't be casually identified as an LR? Or that can be mistaken, unbadged or from the side, for an Explorer? Oh well, the comparative sales figures will speak for themselves. A Velar, on the other hand, demonstrates (to me, at least) that LR can still design an attractive new model.

Mike_Rupp

Mar 26, 2004
Mercer Island, WA
LOL why are you comparing how small it is inside to a smaller even more useless Range Rover Sport? It's also way bigger than the Evoque, but so what!

The fact is the cargo area in practical sense has been reduced from the lr3. It's pure shit now, floor isn't really level, sides lean in, roof is a lot lower and tapered. It's shit, even from basic view of hauling stuff.

They've made it so easy now, if you are buying new and 'do' nothing, buy this Disco 5, if you 'do' stuff, buy a Land Cruiser.

The D5 has become a very off-road wanna-be capable station wagon. I say wanna-be because how serious can it ever really get in truth while sporting at least 20" wheels.

I bought my lr3 new. Apparently it's my last new Land Rover. I'm glad to be rid of the dilemma I used to have. It'll be much simpler going forward with Land Cruiser 200 in a few years.

Hmm:

LC200

Mike_Rupp

Mar 26, 2004
Mercer Island, WA
We had a few of those come through work a few months back. That interior is so nice.

When I started looking at cars to replace my Q7, I initially thought RRS. For about 5 minutes I flirted with the idea of a BMW X5 but then came to my senses. I went to the LR dealer and took a RRS for a test drive. Going in to the dealer, I fully expected to place an order for one. I even went to the LR site and configured one.

I'm not exactly sure how to describe my feelings after driving it, but I was expecting more I guess. The interior just didn't seem as luxurious as what I saw online. I just had a hollow feeling after I drove it. Normally when I get all geared up to buy something after spending a lot of time researching it, the experience confirms it but this was the opposite.

Back to the drawing board. I briefly considered the Lexus GX470, but I just couldn't do it. Every other car on Mercer Island is a soccer mom driving a GX. The LX570 is too gaudy. Then I saw a LC200 driving around and started looking into it. Took it for a test drive and bought it. The interior is quite nice and is on par with what I had in the Q7. The biggest difference between the RRS and the LC200 is that the RRS felt almost exactly like my Q7 and the LC200 drives much more like a Disco. It has that solid, suck up the bumps, sort of drive whereas the RRS has a more sporty ride. The 5.7L engine on the LC200 is glorious. In normal driving, I never go above 3k rpm and it's super quiet. But when you need it, the power is there and the engine comes to life.

All that being said, it doesn't have the magic of a plain Jane D1.