Atlantic British

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Ah-hah, save your ass. What is the stock tire size on the LR3? I assume an inch or so smaller than 32's.....

Talk about over-engineering something. The fancy suspension fails and you're fucked. What's wrong with solid axles and springs & shocks?

30" stock

Depends on specific tire and width, but..
31 is safe
32 is risky
Over 32 means no spare underneath, rubbing at stock height, and stranded if on bumps

32s on a D1 isn't exactly plug and play either though

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
What's wrong with solid axles and springs & shocks?

For a dedicated off roader solid axles are obviously the way to go. But 95% of all new vehicles are IFS because of handling and ride quality.

That said, some of the rock bouncer guys are experimenting with IFS and having really good results!

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
I've found with the ETC on my 2004 D2 that there is a bit of spin but then the ETC kicks in and the grounded wheel gets the traction. In fact, I believe that there has to be some spin to kick ETC into action. If the D2 wheel in that photograph was just constantly spinning then this is contrary to my experience with ETC.

I'm no expert, and I'm sure that many on this board have significantly more experience than myself, but I can tell you that I've been impressed by the capability of the D2 with ETC and I've also found its limits.

If you have at least 3 wheels on the ground with some sort of traction, ETC + CDL will pull you through. If you find yourself in a 2-wheel type scenario where you're cross-axled with minimal traction on one front and one rear wheel, you'll need to rely on momentum or you'll be stuck. I enjoy some challenging rocky trails, and find myself in this situation more than I'd like to admit, which is why I chose to spring for lockers.

I'd rather be able to crawl out through in a controlled manner than need to rely on speed to bounce me through.

WNYDiscoIIErik

Jan 29, 2006
Clarence, NY
www.lucky8llc.com
Ah-hah, save your ass. What is the stock tire size on the LR3? I assume an inch or so smaller than 32's.....

Talk about over-engineering something. The fancy suspension fails and you're fucked. What's wrong with solid axles and springs & shocks?

Not necessarily. Land Rover didn't intend people running a tire larger than 29", so if it fails you are still safe. Idiots like me are putting 35s underneath and causing trouble. Hence why we designed the SYA kit.