LED headlight recommendations?

yubert

Jul 30, 2006
SoCal
www.yubert.com
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-X-treme-Vision-Headlight-Bulbs/dp/B00QJWUPC6

Use these and don't look back. Friends don't let friends retrofit LEDs into halogen engineered lamps.

Thanks. I'll try them in my stock Disco.

As for the LEDs I got, the beam angle is 360-degrees. I think the problem with other LEDs is their beam angle is less than 360-degrees. A relative is a design engineer in the lighting industry, specifically w/LEDs since 2001. He said if the LEDs are truly 360-degrees and sits in the same height/position as the halogens, then the beam pattern should be close enough to match the halogens. From what I can tell that's the case.

However, I'm not saying all LEDs will work like halogens, it depends on the LED design. Recently a friend installed LED bulbs in his '95 Bronco. The low beams work fine but the high beam pattern isn't, the light is scattered all over. It appears to be a reflector issue and the LED manufacturer is working on an aftermarket headlight/reflector solution.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
A relative is a design engineer in the lighting industry, specifically w/LEDs since 2001. He said if the LEDs are truly 360-degrees and sits in the same height/position as the halogens, then the beam pattern should be close enough to match the halogens. From what I can tell that's the case.

Not true. The source size is different, so the lenses and reflectors are effectively not aligned. For more technical explanation lookup etendue