96 Head Lights Not Working - Electrical?

DiscoKids

Oct 16, 2006
South Carolina
I have a 96 Discovery SE7 and the head lights went out the other day at the same time. I replaced the headlights and checked the fuses. The fuses look fine and I can't seem to figure out what the problem is. The switch in the car seems to be working fine as when I turn them on the lights in my car turn on (speedo. light, Radio light, A/C Lights). Anyong got any ideas.

KevLar

Jun 4, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
If both your headlights go out at the same time it's extremely unlikely that the bulbs would the problem... You should have first checked to see if there was power getting to the bulbs and then worked backwards from there.
I'm pretty sure there must be an electronic module which control the headlights, but can't say for sure. Hopefully someone else will be able to point you to the appropriate module responsible for the headlights, or you can look up the schematic in the Rave CD.
But for starters as I said, use a voltmeter to check that there's 12v getting to the bulb. Also, check if there's power at the headlight fuse itself, and check to see if your running lights are working too. All this information will make it a little easier to narrow down the problem.
Kev

gavinrobinson

Nov 21, 2007
Maynard, Ma
I've found a problem with my '95 where I have loose connections on the back of the headlight housing. If I jiggle the wires a little my lights come back on. Sometimes one will go out, move the wire and its back on, and sometimes both are out...

That's my only problem with my headlights I've had.

bgbrox

Dec 25, 2016
Golden, CO
I have a 96 Discovery SE7 and the head lights went out the other day at the same time. I replaced the headlights and checked the fuses. The fuses look fine and I can't seem to figure out what the problem is. The switch in the car seems to be working fine as when I turn them on the lights in my car turn on (speedo. light, Radio light, A/C Lights). Anyong got any ideas.

OP might have fixed his problem 9 years ago, but I'm having the same symptoms with a 97 LSE. Possibly related: I removed my fog lights a few weeks ago and just left the wires tucked up in the front bumper. How do I start troubleshooting this?

WaltNYC

Mar 3, 2010
NYC
If both headlights stopped functioning at the same time my first inclination would be to check fuses followed by the stem. They do get old and short out. I just replaced mine this past winter.

bgbrox

Dec 25, 2016
Golden, CO
The fuse in the engine bay (for "lighting") is good. Are there others that relate to the headlights?

What is the stem?

bgbrox

Dec 25, 2016
Golden, CO
Since the tail lights turn on with the headlights and are functioning, does that rule out the stem/stalk/switch? Or is it possible for the switch to turn the tails on but not the headlights?

bgbrox

Dec 25, 2016
Golden, CO
Thanks for all the replies. I started by cycling all the switches of/on. The high beam stalk was stuck in a middle position. Flipping it a few times made both the high and low beams work. I'll look into cleaning/maintaining that switch and the others in the same area.

Thanks again!