D1: Rear rotor replacement

glester

Jul 11, 2017
Seattle
First thread and I did a search and couldn't find anything specific to my issue.

I finished the front rotors and now I'm onto the rear. The problem is that I'm unable to get the abs ring off the rotor. I've unscrewed the nuts, but it is probably rusted on there pretty tight. For the front rotors, I used a little bit of heat and some pounding to separate the hub from the rotor. Any tips to try to get this thing off?

Thanks in advance!

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
It has been a while since I've done this, but can you not loosen the nuts (leave them on so you don't damage the studs) and tap on them to knock the ring loose? A picture would be helpful since haven't looked at one in a year or more.

glester

Jul 11, 2017
Seattle
It has been a while since I've done this, but can you not loosen the nuts (leave them on so you don't damage the studs) and tap on them to knock the ring loose? A picture would be helpful since haven't looked at one in a year or more.

It's been a while since I posted photos to a forum. I've shared a couple photos here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AoNbQ2XDtnq8lxUpVJHyc519oKDP

Hope you are able to view them there.

Thanks,
Greg

XCELLER8

Sep 21, 2009
put the nuts back on part way......soak it good with PB Blaster.....use a cold chisel as a wedge between the nut/stud and the rotor....tap the chisel in a little at a time on each stud.....it should give way
been there....done this

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
put the nuts back on part way......soak it good with PB Blaster.....use a cold chisel as a wedge between the nut/stud and the rotor....tap the chisel in a little at a time on each stud.....it should give way
been there....done this
The ring is inside the rotor. With a chisel under the nut and against the rotor one can rip off the studs, but the ring will stay put. You need to put the chisel between the nut and the hub - a large flathead screwdriver is better.
... EDIT: but depending on how much rust there is in Seattle, your time/money balance may be better off by buying a hub/rotor from a SoCal/AZ/NV truck (if not brand new).

ezzzzzzz

Apr 22, 2010
SE Va
With the nuts loosened on the studs use a length of aluminum or brass rod to smack the abs ring on the inside several times around the circumference. The idea is not to damage the teeth on the ring. You could apply some heat with a mapp torch prior to this. I assure you it will come loose. If you try to wedge something between the hub and those small studs you just might break one off. If the abs doesn't work and that isn't an issue you could just smack that ring with something more substantial like a small mall to loosen it.

glester

Jul 11, 2017
Seattle
It was much easier to get off once we gave it another try today. Thanks for the responses. I'm just getting my hands dirty on working on cars (any car), so many things that seem obvious to you all, is all new to me. Again, much appreciated.