appropriate fluid and source for ZF?

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Ye olde booke of RAVE tells me that I should be feeding Dexron 3 ATF into my ZFHP22 transmission. OK, fine. Where are you guys finding this stuff for sale? All I can track down is Dex/Merc, or Dex 3 at high prices. Is Dex/Merc suitable for my transmission or should I absolutely, positively, only use Dex 3 regardless of cost?

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
I think you can put whatever mentions Dexron in the transmission, but the power steering is 3 only, not 6

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
I've been using Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc in ZF transmissions for the last 20 years. Buy it at Walmart. It works.

Jul 20, 2017
Vancouver Island
AB suggests Liquid Moly ATF 3 (updated to Top Tec 1100)
LR stuff is ATF 402 (Texaco?)
manual suggests Dex 3
posts recommend Mobil 1, Valvoline, Castrol...

I am not flushing my trans, just doing a drain and replace filter. I gather that you cannot mix synthetic with regular oil in this case.

The Fourth Amigo

Apr 20, 2009
https://www.zf.com/global/media/en_zf/lubricantslists/TE-ML_11.pdf

That's a link to the official document on ATF requirements from ZF.

I was using Mobil 1 synthetic ATF for years with good results. Recently I came across a case of Gueniune Audi/VW 052 162 A2 ATF. I wanted to use it but wasn't sure, so I contacted ZF who referred me to that document. It was fine to use since that fluid was used in (for example) a 1993 Audi V8 Quattro that also has a ZF 4HP22 transmission.

I had 12 liters of the Audi stuff so I drained and refilled approximately 4 liters. Went for a short drive and did it again. that was a couple of weeks ago and the trans feels great.

To sum up:

Any good old fashioned Dex III will do (ZF document), I would use Mobil 1, purchase 8/9 liters to drain and refill twice.

luckyjoe

Oct 10, 2004
New Jersey USA
When replacing the ZF filter I recommend replacing your trans cooler lines as well, especially if you do not know when/if they were last replaced. In doing this you also get a lot more ATF out during the drain. Might consider doing the oil cooler lines too, since you're wrenching in the same general vicinity...

Jul 20, 2017
Vancouver Island
Good advice. The trans and oil lines have been replaced. I like the idea of the fill and drain twice. Same principal worked well on the power steering in using a turkey baster. Drain and refill and few times.

Thanks