3" springs w/o new track bars, etc?

BDM

May 23, 2005
OR
I'm sure this topic has been beat to death. Wondering if I can put 3" springs on my D1 w/o driveline mods and new track bars for now. Basically want to go 3" but don't have the budget for a whole kit from RTE and figured I can put it together over time. Was planning on extended brakes lines immediately.

Thanks

BDM

May 23, 2005
OR
Yeah that's not ideal. I guess I could wait for a used package to come off another truck. Hard to justify spending 2k on suspension when I paid 2k for it haha

Jimmy

Apr 10, 2006
Aurora, CO
You will break or wear out everything else that is next in line to replace. Forces you to do things though.

The first thing I thought of was whether or not the rotoflex had been done/removed/converted to u-joint... 'cause if not, that lift will force that issue pretty quick.

Va_Disco

Dec 22, 2014
Hampton Roads, Va.
Is there a specific reason your looking at the very expensive 3" lift verses one of the more affordable 2" lifts that are available? the 2" is a lot less work and still allows you to fit bigger tires and makes the truck a lot more capable while still fitting the budget.

ezzzzzzz

Apr 22, 2010
SE Va
I'm running 3" lift on my '97 DI (2" springs/1/2" pucks/1/2" isolators). I caster corrected the swivel balls and still run the stock panhard (which really could be swapped out for an adjustable unit to center the axle better). I was running 265's but bolted on some 245's so I wasn't banging sheetmetal when articulating. It drives like a dream but will admit there is a bit of lean at 70mph on a strong sweeping highway curve. Still it isn't white knuckle by any means. It's actually a joy to drive.

Shiftonthefly1

Aug 11, 2014
Las Vegas
Do the 2". Enjoy the truck. Do any and all maintenance while you drive it. Convert to the rear u-joint. Save for the 3" on the side. The 2" lift and 265 tire makes a very capable truck.

mearstrae

Mar 15, 2017
Pennsylvania
Lucky8 has the conversion drive shafts at a good price. Be aware that removing the old yoke on the diff can be a pain in the ass. I've done two and had to cut both old yokes off with a disc cutter.

lrover94

Apr 20, 2004
South Charleston, Ohio
I have done it. It will work but there is a price. In fact, and many will whine foul on this but, anytime you alter from what the engineers put on paper and the guys in manufacturing changed to make it cheap will conflict. You have to decide what works for you. Without correcting the. Get axle ratio steering becomes tweaks and all the rotating elements are prone to failure. Roto flexes will fail so a new rear axle is in order. Then, the overall center of gravity will change.. Honestly I would do it again but just be prepared for some expenditures.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
3" of lift just to run a 245/75??

I'm running 3" lift on my '97 DI (2" springs/1/2" pucks/1/2" isolators). I caster corrected the swivel balls and still run the stock panhard (which really could be swapped out for an adjustable unit to center the axle better). I was running 265's but bolted on some 245's so I wasn't banging sheetmetal when articulating. It drives like a dream but will admit there is a bit of lean at 70mph on a strong sweeping highway curve. Still it isn't white knuckle by any means. It's actually a joy to drive.

ezzzzzzz

Apr 22, 2010
SE Va
3" of lift just to run a 245/75??

Nope, 3" of lift for 3" of lift. The 265's were rubbing in the rear on heavy articulation. I cut that metal out on my prior 2" lifted DI but chose to slap on the 245's for additional clearance when I was considering selling the truck.