D1 speed transducer

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
94 manual D1. Speed transducer is getting flakey. Jumps around at highway and slow speeds sometimes. I've been using a GPS app for speed but am wondering if there are performance or fuel economy ramifications associated with the tranducer not working properly. I'm on the road in CO and have a spare with me, just wondering if its worth taking time to replace now or not?

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
It's probably better to not have it hooked up than malfunctioning. It's been a while since I read through the 14cux disassembly but I seem to remember speed fluctuations being weighted in the fuel enrichment strategy (the part that adds more fuel than required by the reported incoming air)

Jul 20, 2017
Vancouver Island
After awhile, you do get used to no speedo, and the rev counter is a good visual on speed. A wet finger outside the window also helps. I am in the process of getting a replacement sensor for my D2. A bit of a pain to get at, but at least I get to do a transmission fluid and filter change.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
So the Check Engine popped about 3 miles down the road. Code 68 for Vehicle Speed Sensor. And I lost the odometer and tripometer. No noticeable performance gain/loss. Going to plug it back in.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
I think it being a 5 speed lets you get away with that. The idle speed strategy for autos tends to use the vss to know when to enable or disable control. It would probably dip below 600 and sputter if it was configured for an auto. That's how lots of non Rover stuff works, but I don't know this for fact on a 14cux

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
After awhile, you do get used to no speedo, and the rev counter is a good visual on speed. A wet finger outside the window also helps. I am in the process of getting a replacement sensor for my D2. A bit of a pain to get at, but at least I get to do a transmission fluid and filter change.

Your Disco2 doesn't use a speed transducer at the trans. It's been a long time but I think your truck averages the speeds from all the abs sensors.

1920SF

Jan 6, 2007
NoVA
My GEMs 5 speed VSS started to go on a trip from VA to WI; unplugged it and continued to/from with no major issues-idle would fall off when coming out of gear at speed (slowing from an exit ramp or something) and occasionally stall but all told it worked fine & I never noticed any effect on the mileage.

5 speed is more fun than the auto, IMHO, gives you a lot more control of what little power we have. Not as good for off road since its another thing to manage but that's life.
r-
Ray

ME Island

As an aside, my ‘97 D1 started to run weird at highway speeds only. The vehicle would hold 65-70 mph but feel as though it were surging, although the actual speed change was minimal and the tach would read steady. It idled fine but I did think the fuel mileage had lessened.

While at the Sand Rover Rally last month, I rode off road with Charles Bell, a Land Rover Master Tech. The moment I started the description he said “Speed Transducer” and said he’d replaced several during his decades working at a dealership in AL. He also noted that the fault might not throw a code. When mine was removed, the innards fell apart. Replacing it did the trick.

Jeff