Chassis?

G

gmfink

Sorry if this is a repeat. I used to visit the board years ago and then fell out of touch. If this has been asked before I apologize in advance.

Does anyone have any info on if this new LR is a new design? Is it based on the current Range Rover like previous Discoveries always were? Does it dip heavily into the Ford parts bin?

The pictures on LR's site don't look wholly promising.

--Geoff

Pugsly

Banned
Apr 20, 2004
www.roverautomotive.com
gmfink said:
Does anyone have any info on if this new LR is a new design? Is it based on the current Range Rover like previous Discoveries always were? Does it dip heavily into the Ford parts bin?

Yes, it is a new design. Frame on chassis, unlike the new RR.

I don't think anyone knows how many Ford parts it will have yet.

S

Snwbord24

FWIW

So I was talking to a LR Tech today who flew into the area to look at my rig. He tells me that the LR3 or Discovery 3 is the first Land Rover since a 96 Range Rover (I think that's the year he said) that was completely designed by LR. NO FORD OR BMW PARTS!!!!

He had nothing but rave reviews about it. He drove one in the UK both on and off road for some training before it comes out. From what he told me, it's as capable if not more than any other Discovery has been and met all his expectations. He seemed to know what he was talking about anyway.

Seems like a great new LR, if only it didn't look like the rape offspring of a Range Rover and Honda Element.

Ted

Apr 24, 2004
Arizona
Snwbord24 said:
FWIW

So I was talking to a LR Tech today who flew into the area to look at my rig. He tells me that the LR3 or Discovery 3 is the first Land Rover since a 96 Range Rover (I think that's the year he said) that was completely designed by LR. NO FORD OR BMW PARTS!!!!

Unless you count the Engine as a part... the LR3 will be available with a Jaguar (Ford) V-8 or Ford V-6.

cheers,

Ted

Thai

Oct 17, 2004
Texas
www.t4r.org
I have doubts about that tech. The Navi system is from Ford. I am sure that some of the switchgears are from Ford.

I have heard that the LR3's frame is quite strong...as strong as the current RR's unibody. I heard that it's 7.3 million lbs of torque per degree of chassis flex...which is similar to RR's unibody. This is quite impressive. It does weigh about the same as the RR.

LR's tech looks good...the body style will need some warming up to.

Last edited:

Alyssa

Apr 19, 2004
Philadelphia's Main Line
The navigation system is not from Ford. It is a DENSO navigation system, used by Lexus and Jaguar, among others.
The frame is completely new. It is a new platform that will be shared by other Land Rovers in the future. It can be widened, lengthened, shortened, etc... for use in other models. The new Range Rover Sport will be built on this platform. It is in no way associated with Ford other than we used their money to build it.
The Jaguar engine that LR used in the LR3 has been completely redone for Land Rover. While it is Jaguar sourced, it is LR designed.
There is only one engine option in the US. No V6, no diesel.
Very few insignificant parts are of Ford origin-- for example, the mirror switch.

LRWheelman

Sep 7, 2004
Stoutland,MO,USA
What about the 113" wheelbase? Nothing says "explorer" like a 113" WB! People can say what they wish about the modern, new LR3, but as lond a Ford Motor Co. is at the helm, well, there won't be a new one in my stable. Do they build the mazda tribute to sell to people who don't want ford escapes? You bet! Did ford deny the connection? Yes. Did mazda deny the connection? You bet. Can't people see the difference? I don't think so. Is an H2 a Denali? Do they share the same platform? Come on people, wake up! Thank You, LRW.