ARB bumper protection Question

coop74

Dec 10, 2015
Alcoa TN
Nah. Tends to be a lot of dick-measuring via trasharoos and roof patches opposed to actual wheeling. There's always exceptions but overall not my crowd of people

The patches and stickers things confounds me as well... The trasharoo actually turns out to be quite useful.

coop74

Dec 10, 2015
Alcoa TN
lol

Spent a lot of time at Windrock, have ya?

I have ridden up there a few times but I am not about the rock climbing thing and too cheap to pay to play. I did that 25 years ago when Tellico was open. I do like Hurricane creek, some areas over in NC, North GA, and some places in Alabama. I try to get out to Colorado or out west as well.

much more of the out of the way camping kind of guy...

disco_drum

Jan 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
I have ridden up there a few times but I am not about the rock climbing thing and too cheap to pay to play. I did that 25 years ago when Tellico was open. I do like Hurricane creek, some areas over in NC, North GA, and some places in Alabama. I try to get out to Colorado or out west as well.

much more of the out of the way camping kind of guy...

Oh no!!! You just mentioned Tellico...RIP Tellico. It was the first place I ever took my Disco and I still to this day can't believe it is gone. What a magical place it was. I remember wheeling up to Fain's Ford in a basically stock Disco (mild lift and AT tires) and just being blown away by the experience! I wish it was still around so I could take my "evolved" Disco up lower 2!!! or at least attempt to....

coop74

Dec 10, 2015
Alcoa TN
This thread has some potential. Keep it going, Cooper.

I think i will pass. I was looking for some legitimate help with actual issue i was having hoping that others might have pioneered a solution so i would not have to reinvent the wheel.

Pretty clear from the responses you don't actually get help here. You just get a lot of my Dick is bigger than yours responses.

Not my game... It was fun when i was a child but i grew out of it.

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
Oh Coop, don’t get butthurt. It’s DWeb. Nobody in person is how they are on-line here. They’re all pretty cool. Let me know if you ever want to go wheeling in East Tenn.

lrover94

Apr 20, 2004
South Charleston, Ohio
I am a big fan of the ARB bumpers. After a deer strike i installed one my Disco 2. What is different with this one the others i have owned is there is not a skid that covers the area immediately behind the bumper but before the front of the vehicle.

pOC8SXhB97ybtmym2

A quick look and you can see it leaves a very open path to the bottom of the Radiator. Good for cooling but not ideal off road.

How do owners with a ARB solve this issue. I was considering a light weight skid plate running from the factory stearing protection bar to the bottom rear of the bumper.

have others done this?

Thanks in advance for your replies. Replies with pictures doubly sooooo....

looks like you have your problem solved. I like ARB. Ignore the haters, they would bitch about a free blow job!

coop74

Dec 10, 2015
Alcoa TN
Oh Coop, don?t get butthurt. It?s DWeb. Nobody in person is how they are on-line here. They?re all pretty cool. Let me know if you ever want to go wheeling in East Tenn.

I am going camping for 10 days in Fl in a week or so i am all good. Nothing like fresh sea food and shorts and walking the beach to get you back to center.

BTW, I looked at multiple sources and found some images of others doing what i considered so now i am in the plan and make phase.

An advantage of being older, you don't get butt hurt. The next local thing likely will be CFW if i dont deploy with my job.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
I think i will pass. I was looking for some legitimate help with actual issue i was having hoping that others might have pioneered a solution so i would not have to reinvent the wheel.

You've been told that you don't have an actual issue, which I tend to agree with. Therefore, solution was unnecessary.
The boat-anchor ARB bumper for D1 serves very little purpose, besides bending the hood and fenders whenever you actually hit anything with it and can-opening the sides of vehicles in cross traffic.

coop74 said:
Pretty clear from the responses you don't actually get help here. You just get a lot of my Dick is bigger than yours responses.

Not my game... It was fun when i was a child but i grew out of it.
I need to check how many users Discoweb ever had - my WAG is that if one divided this number in half, it would be the number of times something like this was posted.
And it is a lot tamer than POR.

coop74

Dec 10, 2015
Alcoa TN
The close out the thread...

I added a shield/skid plate to cover the area. The hole btw is like 13 x24 inches... If anyone decides to do this in the future by adding a solid plate there I did not notice an increase in normal running temps (a concern i had) so covering that huge hole so far (it is winter) has not caused it to run hotter.

I also have peace of mind that a errant rock or stick will not come up and damage the radiator and other soft bits in that area.