Harman Cardon Amplifier Troubleshooting

The Fourth Amigo

Apr 20, 2009
I have had an aftermarket Alpine head unit installed for about 8 years.

All of my speakers stopped working. I tested some of the speakers by bypassing the amp and they work fine. So I suppose my amp is shot.

Does anyone have any tricks to prove that the amp is actually dead?

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I have had an aftermarket Alpine head unit installed for about 8 years.

All of my speakers stopped working. I tested some of the speakers by bypassing the amp and they work fine. So I suppose my amp is shot.

Does anyone have any tricks to prove that the amp is actually dead?

A lot of times Rover audio systems come down to substituting a known good part. But like Jymmie said check battery voltage and grounds. You know the signal is coming out of the radio head, so that's a good start anyway.

The Fourth Amigo

Apr 20, 2009
I don't really know that the signal is coming from the radio head. The signal to the Harman Kardon amp under the drivers seat comes from the red/white RCA outputs but the bypass to the speakers is coming directly from the head unit amp.

I assume the HK amp is dead because when I play with the RCA's I don't get any noise or popping from the speakers which I feel should happen. Not really a definitive test.

The Fourth Amigo

Apr 20, 2009
Problem solved.

I was only getting 5V at the blue/white remote turn-on wire coming from the head unit. I used the red accessory wire to tell the amp to turn on instead (12V) and it fired right up!

Glad I didn't throw parts at it.