Disco 2 structural question

JohnnoK

Mar 19, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
How is the roof panel attached to the vehicle structure?

I need to replace my roof and so far, I have different opinions, namely...
1. It's welded to the frame and the pillars need to be cut and welded
2. It's stuck on with an adhesive and screwed for added strength

3. It's stuck on with adhesive

Can anyone clarify for me, please?

Disco 1 and 2 have in their roofs a steel frame box and crossbars. External skin is welded peripherally to frame and before placing it they had put polyurethane over crossbars.
As a spare you can buy even that outer skin.
But if change is motivated by a dent, do not rule out the least work that is to de-flag it. Only by correcting the false squad produced by the blow, all outer skin magically places itself in its position. You need then only touch up details.
Cutting pillars is more "traumatic" than that, because you need to dismantle both hindquarters and many other things.

Best regards

JohnnoK

Mar 19, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Hi, that's a bun on the outer skin mainly, which is very thin. It did not even affect the framework. Nothing structural.
I have seen repairs that look better than new.
But ... I'm in Argentina. Here is no junkyard Disco and sheet metal and painting jobs are almost forced

Regards
Muchos gracias, senhor!
Te comprendes muy bien!

I have a rusted roof to chop and hack on to see exactly how to proceed, and a good dual sunroof assembly to fit, so I am going to have a good look at it and see what's involved to separate the skin from the frame and will proceed accordingly.

JohnnoK

Mar 19, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Just a follow up on this, the roof is spot welded to the underlying structure. I counted 53 spot welds down one side. I chopped a section out of a scrap roof I bought to investigate how it was all assembled to double check.

Plan now is to cut A, B and C pillars to replace the roof.