DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Technical Boards > Range Rover - Technical Discussions

Old 10-24-2005, 04:36 PM
AlanB

Here are some pics and info from my attempt at a homemade snorkel. I just couldn't see myself spending $420 for an RRC Mantec snorkel. Parts:

ARB Safari Snorkel Head #000135000 from http://www.4by4connection.com/landrover3.html $55
4-foot section of 3" diameter exhaust tube from local muffer shop $20
3" diameter flexible aluminum heating and cooling ducting from Lowe's $8
two 3-1/2" stainless steel hose clamps $2
1 can satin black spray paint $5
1 can primer $5
Black plastic door panel trim at Pep Boys $5
self tapping #12 screws
Scrap 1/4" and 1/8" thick flat bar

Total Cost: $100

I pretty much followed the directions from this website http://members.optusnet.com.au/thebe...od.htm#snorkel but I cut, welded, and ground the pipe instead of bending it. The trickiest part is getting the right angles for the pipe and making the first cut into the decker panel.

Old 10-24-2005, 05:11 PM

nice work. I have been contemplating this same idea, and I like the simple idea of using 3" muffler pipe. I have seen some parts for a shop vac I may be able to use too...

"the parts falling off this vehicle are of the finest British Craftsmanship"
Old 10-24-2005, 05:22 PM

Member Trucks
Awesome!
Old 10-24-2005, 05:50 PM

Have you hooked it up underneath the hood? Any chance you could take some pics if you have? Is the tab on the A pillar the only thing actually securing the snorkel to the body?

Thanks,
Will
Old 10-24-2005, 06:32 PM

When's the p38 getting a snorkel?
Old 10-24-2005, 06:38 PM
AlanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD
When's the p38 getting a snorkel?
Not a chance
Old 10-24-2005, 06:43 PM
AlanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKORES
Have you hooked it up underneath the hood? Any chance you could take some pics if you have? Is the tab on the A pillar the only thing actually securing the snorkel to the body?

Thanks,
Will
I'll take some underhood pics tommorrow, but it looks exactly like the one on the website I linked to.

The tab with four screws is the only thing securing it, its a pretty tight fit through the decker panel and with just the tab it seems to be pretty secure. I am sure another tab could be easily fabbed inside the hood area for more strength.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:17 PM
AlanB

Some underhood pics:

Old 10-24-2005, 07:42 PM

That is a very nicely done "homemade" intake. Good job!
Old 10-24-2005, 08:13 PM
JeffreyDV

Great job, very professional looking. Here are some pics of my shop vac parts snorkel:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snorkel1.jpg (33.1 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg snorkel3.jpg (29.5 KB, 263 views)
Old 10-24-2005, 09:48 PM
Keyboard Pounder II

Alan, that looks really good. I think that is what I want to do to my RRC when I decide to put on some type of snorkel.

Also what size tires are those 265/75's? Also what have you done to the suspension?
Old 10-24-2005, 10:26 PM
AlanB

Thanks for the compliments guys, hope this helps anyone else thinking about a DIY snorkel.

Will, yes those are BFG MT 265/75/16's, ome 751 front and 781 rear, 1" spacers in front and 1.5" spacers in back, 2" rovertym body lift. Looking to go to 34's like Chuck's.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:18 AM
Almost There...

Nice, very clean would it have been to hard to bend the pipe to that angle maybe by heating it up with a torch.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:06 PM

I had to stop by Pep Boys today to fondle the 3" exhaust sections...

"the parts falling off this vehicle are of the finest British Craftsmanship"
Old 10-30-2005, 05:01 PM
Keyboard Pounder II

Well, I went wheeling this weekend and went through a few rivers and did not have any problems but I was thinking about it if I had probably only had two inches of lift and was on smaller tires that my truck would probably suck in water and stall on me. So I am going to do the same thing to my truck next month. I will probably have to get someone else to cut the truck (Don't think I could bring my self to it, and would probably screw up) but I am going to give it a try.

Plus then I have a good way to get the wires to my rack lights up there.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:30 PM

You might want to be careful running a metal hose through the engine compartment with all the wires and the potential for a short.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:47 AM

Nice job dude. I have reservations on using dryer alum duct as a permanent solution for such a critical job.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:31 AM
AlanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by alia176
Nice job dude. I have reservations on using dryer alum duct as a permanent solution for such a critical job.
Its not the flimsy 4" diameter dryer alum duct, its the thick stuff meant for heat ducting. Its pretty sturdy stuff. One could probably also use some thick heat resistant flexible plastic hose.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:02 PM

Down in Fl snorkels are a must. Most guys homemake theirs too. We have a great hose shop that makes hoses for our snorkels. It isnt much and would be much more functional and cleaner than the duct work. Great job on the snorkel though. Mine is also a shop vac hose with a vintage VW aircleaner for a top. Gonna make a nice one someday. Gordo

2000 4.6 P38 on 20's (bling bling)
Built Series II coiler with Nissan diesel, "SWAMP RAT"
Old 11-03-2005, 03:41 AM
Black Mustache

what kinda rear bumper is that?

nice work on the snork, btw
Old 11-03-2005, 10:15 AM
AlanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mustache
what kinda rear bumper is that?

nice work on the snork, btw?
Thanks, its another one of my homemade jobs.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:20 AM
AlanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK
Is that an ARB bumper on the front? If so, did you have to modify it so the headlights lined up after the 2" body lift?

I, too, want to hear more about the rear bumper.

With the snorkel head facing forward, are there any issues when driving in the rain?
Yes its an ARB, I modified the bumper's mounting brackets. I basically extended the brackets lower and then drilled mounting holes approx 2" lower so that everything lined back up to match the body lift.

The snorkel head is supposedly designed so that when water enters the snorkel, it drains out the sides. There are four water channels. I haven't driven in a torrential rain yet, but in normal rains it seems to be fine.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:44 AM
AlanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK
Do you have any images of the ARB bracket modification?
All you have to do is basically weld on a piece of plate right below the ARB's existing mounting brackets, there will be four pieces that you will have to weld on, you will also have to grind down the welds so that the bumper will slide back on the frame horns. Then drill out the new lower mounting holes. Crawl under your truck, you will see what I mean.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:34 PM
Keyboard Pounder II

Ok, so I am at least going to get the snorkel all made up and get everything for it this weekend and probably install it next weekend. I just need to order the SS head.
Alan, you don't happen to have the item number or anything for the "Black plastic door panel trim" from pep boys do you? Also after you cut off the end of the "horn" on the air cleaner how do you get the hose and hose clamp to stay on it? Also could you estimate the angles of the two places where the bends would be buy you welded it?

I think that is all the questions I have right now. I will let you guys know how it goes.

Later
Old 11-16-2005, 10:29 PM
AlanB

Style Guard door edge molding "u" shape standard, #S39381.

I did not write down the angles, what I did to find the angle was to use an adjustable angle finder. Then cut the pipe at half that angle, that way the two ends will meet together and form the correct angle. Its a little tricky to get the pipes at the correct angles as the pipe also curves in with the angle of the windshield.

I tightened down the hose clamp till it collapsed the aluminum hose around the horn.

I would advise building the snorkel with the vehicle present, its alot of taking on and off measuring and fitting to get everything lined up right. Its a tight fit and you must have everything correct or its not going to fit well.

The screws I used are #10 self tapping screws not #12.

The bracket is 1/4" thick from the pipe and 1/8" thick from the A pillar and is just enough clearance with the 1/8" thick plate and screws to clear the door.

After thinking about the time it took to build it and the equipment you need, it might not make economic sence to build one unless you have the equipment or time or can bribe a friend with the equipment to help you out, just my two cents. Least you will need is a welder, grinder, some sort of cut-off tool to cut the hole in the decker panel and to open up the hood and interior decker panel to clear the 3" pipe, sawzall or chop saw to cut the pipe.

Last edited by AlanB; 11-16-2005 at 10:53 PM.