DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Non-Technical Boards > General

General General BS

Old 09-20-2018, 03:43 AM

Member Trucks
Looks good but they only have blue for the 7/16" rope.

Their pic might be helpful to others:

- 2001 Java Black Discovery 2 SE (LHD) "MYRTLE", 107K miles, 4.0L V8, SAI, Safari Gard bumpers, Warn XD9000i winch, KO2 265/75R16 on steel rims, 3" TF lift, LEDs, UltraGauge Blue, Foxwell NT510, Nanocom Evo II
Old 09-20-2018, 10:54 AM

Member Trucks
Yeah, I wanted grey but blue was the only option. Will be covered by the winch cover anyway and only a few inches will show through the fair lead. I got the blue-pin shackles to match and replace my 10-year old shackles hanging up front on my recovery points.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:12 AM
Keyboard Pounder II

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Yeah, I wanted grey but blue was the only option. Will be covered by the winch cover anyway and only a few inches will show through the fair lead. I got the blue-pin shackles to match and replace my 10-year old shackles hanging up front on my recovery points.

I never leave shackles hooked up on my bumper. They either get stolen or they get seized up with dirt and rain. If I know there is chance I will need to use them I pre-rig my winch and straps, but it all gets put away when Im done.

Same with a Highlift jack. Everyone loves to have theirs mounted outside the vehicle so everyone can see how hardcore they are! BUT the first time they go to use it.. guess what? Its seized up from years of sitting in the weather!

Just something to think about...
Old 09-20-2018, 12:55 PM
AK6PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jymmiejamz View Post
I was glad to have 100' last weekend. I was in a pretty tight spot that I felt I need to winch to avoid going over. To get a straight line pull I needed probably 90' of the winch line. there was a good size clearing after this hill climb. I'm actually going to make the first rope Custom Splice sent me into two extensions. Based on my youtube research, it is pretty easy to splice winch rope.

Did you go to Dishpan Springs, Jimmy?
Old 09-20-2018, 12:58 PM

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-rover View Post
I never leave shackles hooked up on my bumper. They either get stolen or they get seized up with dirt and rain....

Ah, young Padawan, do you not think a man of my age and wisdom has already considered this?

LOL, I put a light grease on the threads and crank them down hard so that the pins can't be loosened by hand....and I have an old odd Philips head screwdriver permanently living in the back of my glove box whose sole purpose is to be inserted into the holes in the ends of the pins and provide leverage to back them out. I also check on them every now & then to be sure they aren't seized. Here in AZ we don't have the issues with constant wetness, road salt, everything oxidizing, etc. And my Hi-Lift lives in the corner of my garage.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:13 PM
Keyboard Pounder II

Member Trucks
Quote:
Ah, young Padawan, do you not think a man of my age and wisdom has already considered this?

LOL, I put a light grease on the threads and crank them down hard so that the pins can't be loosened by hand....and I have an old odd Philips head screwdriver permanently living in the back of my glove box whose sole purpose is to be inserted into the holes in the ends of the pins and provide leverage to back them out. I also check on them every now & then to be sure they aren't seized. Here in AZ we don't have the issues with constant wetness, road salt, everything oxidizing, etc. And my Hi-Lift lives in the corner of my garage.

Haha.. Yep, just throwing it out there for others reading this.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:26 PM
KN4JHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-rover View Post
I never leave shackles hooked up on my bumper. They either get stolen or they get seized up with dirt and rain.
I've always left my shackles on my truck and have only lived in cities. I've never had one stolen. I also would usually only wash my truck a couple times a year living in NYC where there was plenty of salt on the road. I've never had one that I couldn't easily loosen by hand. I have provided photo evidence of the salt levels which also includes the shackle that was in my trucks receiver when I bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p m View Post
Did you go to Dishpan Springs, Jimmy?
This was near Lake Isabella. I know we went on Black Gulch trail, but I'm not sure if that's where this pic was from. There are ton of trails like this in that area.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:52 AM
Keyboard Pounder II

Member Trucks
Well then you have gotten lucky, because I have personally seen 3 different vehicles all have their bow shackles stuck on. We ended up putting a soft shackle around the bow shackle. And personally have seen 2 high lift jacks that were kept on a roof rack with no cover not work when they needed it.

The reason you havent had any stolen is because no one in the city knows what that is anyway.. Not the case down here in the South
Old 09-21-2018, 10:01 AM

I never saw the purpose of leaving them on. Just toss in the kit in the back. Too many posers and douche canoes with their unused Hi Lift mounted, LED bar, Yeti decal, RTT and of course those pretty bow shackles dangling down. And I've seen many that end up getting attached "permanently". It's not always the corrosion that locks the pin in, but in our case the recovery - the slightest movement/pressure on the pin in the shackle and it's tough to get out. Why you never screw/shoulder the pin and then do your recovery.
1992 Toyota Prado
1991 Toyota Hilux
1991 Toyota Surf
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
1997 Toyota 4Runner
2008 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
2005 KTM 950 Adventure
1993 Mad River Explorer
1996 Thoroughbred
Old 09-21-2018, 11:09 AM

Member Trucks
I never saw the purpose of taking them off.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:22 PM
AK6PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jymmiejamz View Post
This was near Lake Isabella. I know we went on Black Gulch trail, but I'm not sure if that's where this pic was from. There are ton of trails like this in that area.
Awesome! It is not _that_ far from Dusy, either.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:33 PM
AK6PM
Administrator

What a bizarre discussion about shackles...
Always had them out, never stolen. There are hundreds or thousands of jeeps around SoCal with all sorts of offroad goodies outside, I have never heard of anything being stolen, either.

Hi-Lift jack is a different matter. On the scale of (utility - liability)/weight it is pretty low already, and having one outside makes this scale negative pretty quickly.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:47 PM

Member Trucks
Quote:
Hi-Lift jack is a different matter. On the scale of (utility - liability)/weight it is pretty low already, and having one outside makes this scale negative pretty quickly.
Im told they have their place, but every time Ive used a highlift I wished I had a bottle jack
Old 09-21-2018, 12:54 PM

Member Trucks
Quote:
What a bizarre discussion about shackles...
Always had them out, never stolen. There are hundreds or thousands of jeeps around SoCal with all sorts of offroad goodies outside, I have never heard of anything being stolen, either.

Agreed, having a hilift, shovel, sand ladders, Jerry cans, etc. permanently mounted is stupid.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:30 PM
Keyboard Pounder II

Member Trucks
If you guys havent had any negative experiences by leaving your shackles attached, then by all means dont let me stop you. I have seen enough of them get seized on so I just keep them inside. Mostly using soft shackles now anyway. Damn sure not leaving those out for obvious reasons.

I had a 48" highlift living in the rear floorboard of my D2. It fit perfectly and kept the weight down low and out of the elements. When I went to a 4" lift it became pointless. I need a 60" but good luck fitting that inside the truck so Im without for now. Ive gotten to use and watch others use a Highlift enough to know it has its place. Mostly for the IFS guys. You can do a jack and cast, or jack and stack. For changing a tire, I use the factory bottle jack and a block of wood, or even the highlift base works with the jack.

Me practicing a jack and cast.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:59 PM

Member Trucks
Quote:
Agreed, having a hilift, shovel, sand ladders, Jerry cans, etc. permanently mounted is stupid.
Then you aren't a real overlander
Old 09-21-2018, 02:17 PM

I never understood the advantage to leaving the shackles attached to the outside of the truck.
Cons:
Exposed to the elements
Seizing of the pin
Theft
Paint wear on your bumper
Still have to take it off to attach a strap

Pros:
Looking badass at the mall

The only time I've left a shackle on my bumper is when I had no other place to attach my winch hook. Even then all other shackles come off.
'94 D1 Too good to pass up. OME lift, 265/75/16 BFG AT's, Detroit/TruTrac, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostew View Post
No matter how hard you stir it you won't make chocolate ice cream out of a bucket of shit
Old 09-21-2018, 02:31 PM

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Then you aren't a real overlander
It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand
Old 09-21-2018, 02:56 PM
AK6PM
Administrator

I guess I just don't care enough for the shackles.
When I worked at Scripps, we used and stored them in all sorts of condition - including in and out of seawater for days at a time. At a point, the pin becomes a bitch to turn - the shackle goes into a pile.
I still have a few U.S.-made Crosby shackles left from this time.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:01 PM

Member Trucks
What's the best way for me to anchor my synthetic line to my winch drum? Superwinch EP9.0. Had the wire rope run through the drum with a set screw. Photos of what I'm workin with are attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6202.jpg (203.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6203.jpg (207.9 KB, 19 views)
Old 10-17-2018, 08:22 PM

https://www.grainger.com/ec/pdf/Supe...structions.pdf

I had to trim a line or 2 out of the bundle to get it to fit through the hole. I read somewhere else to do that, in a splicing guide or something. I staggered the lines I cut so I did not have a hard edge at that point.

Last edited by CORover; 10-17-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:53 PM
KN4JHI

I don't have anything holding mine other than the rope tension.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:15 PM

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by CORover View Post
https://www.grainger.com/ec/pdf/Supe...structions.pdf

I had to trim a line or 2 out of the bundle to get it to fit through the hole. I read somewhere else to do that, in a splicing guide or something. I staggered the lines I cut so I did not have a hard edge at that point.
Hey, cool, just what I was looking for. I googled and everything and didn't find that. I'll definitely have to trim my 7/16" down to make it fit in the hole (that's what she said).
Old 10-18-2018, 04:35 AM

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by CORover View Post
Thanks for this!

- 2001 Java Black Discovery 2 SE (LHD) "MYRTLE", 107K miles, 4.0L V8, SAI, Safari Gard bumpers, Warn XD9000i winch, KO2 265/75R16 on steel rims, 3" TF lift, LEDs, UltraGauge Blue, Foxwell NT510, Nanocom Evo II
Old 10-18-2018, 06:07 PM

Member Trucks
Not sure I like the idea of wrapping duct tape around the steel drum...