Myrtle is gone...

JUKE179r

Sep 14, 2016
Suffolkshire, UK
Dropped off Myrtle for pre-shipping inspection in Atlanta for her shipment back to her motherland.
I'll soon join ya again across the waters ole girl...

80-b30addf5_9418_4c80_adf6_f8588d170398_8a920ef8dfe755f307357618eec8d1b66da784a4.jpeg

Last edited:

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
You're doing it backwards. You should be bringing a 25-year old TDI Defender back from Europe.

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
Looks like a nice D2.

One thing that helped me bring back the RRC from Europe was having all the documents used to send the Rover over.

Keep everything while you are there as it really helps on the return.

Assuming you are bring the Rover back to the USA.

Hopefully you installed a new fuel pump so you can flow pure gas!

Have fun with the V8 - many folks wanted a peek to see our's while there.

JUKE179r

Sep 14, 2016
Suffolkshire, UK
You're shipping a V8 D2 to England? Have you drive a Td5? Do you know what gas prices are over there?
Yep it's going to England with us. My wife had a Disco 2 TD5 when we were stationed there and still misses it. Since I'm retired, I can afford the UK "petrol".

You're doing it backwards. You should be bringing a 25-year old TDI Defender back from Europe.
Exactly!!! The very next Land Rover I'm getting while I'm living in England is my dream 1993 Defender 110 300TDi.

Just a heads up, gas comes out of the green pumps there and the black ones are diesel.
I forgot about that. Thanks!

One thing that helped me bring back the RRC from Europe was having all the documents used to send the Rover over.

Keep everything while you are there as it really helps on the return.
That's great info. Thanks!
I had a hell of a time yesterday with the inspection office. They were going to reject my Disco due to the aftermarket Safari Gard front bumpers. They said it is a safety concern because the UK has stipulations about having aftermarket Bull bars/A-Bars. I spent 2 hours telling them I don't have a Bull Bar and that I have a front steel bumper with a winch. They finally gave in and accepted the truck for shipment. :applause:

Is UK gas more "pure" and of higher viscosity?
If i remember correctly, they are the same octane "content" but just the numbers are different...
UK 99 Octane = US 93 octane... or something like that.

Far from it! I have extreme respect to those PJ's.
I was a HH-60G Maintenance Flight Chief in the Air Force and maintained the 66th RQS (Rescue Squadron) fleet of HELOs in Nevada. That's why I have the Jolly Green feet sticker with 6 toes to represent the 66th.

RIP Pedro 66 Crew (#86-26201) ... That Others May Live...:patriot:

Last edited:

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Inspections are strange.

The Rangie didn't pass the first time in Switzerland because the tires (GY MTR) didn't have a noise rating symbol on the sidewall. The Landie dealer took care of it for me yet almost wasn't able to liscense / drive it.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Inspections are strange.

The Rangie didn't pass the first time in Switzerland because the tires (GY MTR) didn't have a noise rating symbol on the sidewall. The Landie dealer took care of it for me yet almost wasn't able to liscense / drive it.

Noise rating?

I suppose that could make sense if some tires are so loud you can't hear motorists, but a DB meter and five miles will tell them what they need to know.

Some inspections are really good, because you learn about things you may have missed. I wish they were more practical, though.

Cheers,

Kennith

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
Reminds me of inspections in VA. Forgot the covers for the Hella lights on the front bumper and they almost rejected it. Had to put tape over them for inspection. So freaking stupid.

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Noise rating?

Yep. The service manager from the dealer got it passed by telling them the Rangie was from the US and a noise rating symbol is not required on tires there.

I purchased a set for the Saab while there and guessing if I look hard enough there will be some type of symbol on them.

mgreenspan

Feb 28, 2005
Briggs's Back Yard
Juke,
Take your time on buying a vehicle over there. Remember you need the correct engine for the model year if you want to bring it back. There are bargains out there in the UK but don't get caught up by the kid in a candy store effect. If you haven't ever driven a Defender in good condition test drive something newer and well outside of your price range. The old ones should drive about the same minus the engine response but that'll at least give you a heads up as to how much work you have ahead of you.

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Looking great! In Switzerland we had a month to get the inspection before acquiring Swiss plates so ran New York ones on the Rangie. Always caused a few stares where ever we stopped.

It is pretty cool though when you first install those foreign plates on it.

Good luck with the MOT!

mgreenspan

Feb 28, 2005
Briggs's Back Yard
Good old lccr. Best car rental prices ever. When I was stationed at Mildenhall I bought a volvo 740 from then. 7 months tax and test. Drive it for 7 months. I bought it for 290 gbp. I parted it and scrapped it for 230gbp.