RIP Anthony Bourdain

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
I read his first cocaine and bjs book in 2001 or so. Seemed like a cool cat. Unfortunately the hipster crowd glommed onto him and treated him like some kind of beatnik Rock and Roll poet God for food and it turned me off of him.

Between him and Guy Fieri, who I want to punch in the fucking face, if I had a restaurant in the US Guy would be the one I'd want to visit me. That dude has done more for small businesses in the food industry in the US than any 10 Anthony Bs could ever do.

That said, it's curious why he'd go the way he did and now. Is there some kind of "OMG he made me feel bad in my pee pee spot once eleventybillion years ago and now I'm writing a tell all about it" revelation coming about?

1920SF

Jan 6, 2007
NoVA
I enjoyed his work early on. I really enjoyed the No Reservations from Beirut in 2006, when we evacuated him.

Anthony Bourdain: I can't possibly say enough good things about the U.S. Marine Corps or enough bad things about the embassy and the State Department.

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
I read his first cocaine and bjs book in 2001 or so. Seemed like a cool cat. Unfortunately the hipster crowd glommed onto him and treated him like some kind of beatnik Rock and Roll poet God for food and it turned me off of him.

Between him and Guy Fieri, who I want to punch in the fucking face, if I had a restaurant in the US Guy would be the one I'd want to visit me. That dude has done more for small businesses in the food industry in the US than any 10 Anthony Bs could ever do.

That said, it's curious why he'd go the way he did and now. Is there some kind of "OMG he made me feel bad in my pee pee spot once eleventybillion years ago and now I'm writing a tell all about it" revelation coming about?

Eh, I did like how he came across in Parts Unknown. He seemed pretty down to earth on TV at least. Not a huge Guy fan. All that douchy jewelry and bleached hair reminds me of a retired Backstreet Boy. Also Anthony combined local opinions with local cuisine. All Fieri does is eats food in US only... I would rather hang with Bobby Flay.

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
Not a huge Guy fan. All that douchy jewelry and bleached hair reminds me of a retired Backstreet Boy.

Truth. And the backwards sunglasses.

But still: that douche canoe has done more for small food places in the US than anyone else I can think of.

It's not Bourdain's fault the hipster cooler-than-you crowd turned him into a food Che, but my biases turned me off following him once that happened.

Plus that's the same crowd who would tweet about him finger banging them in the freezer just to get more followers on instatweetogrambook.

chris snell

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2005
I'm incredibly bummed about Bourdain. I can count the celebrities that I enjoy listening to on one hand and he was on that list. Tragic. It makes no sense. He was such a man.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
He gave me the creeps

I'd much rather watch Guy go to places I'm likely to have to travel to than watch creepy bum a plate of alley rat off a peruvian drifter.

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
He gave me the creeps

I'd much rather watch Guy go to places I'm likely to have to travel to than watch creepy bum a plate of alley rat off a peruvian drifter.

Why? He was a bit quirky but his shows and books were good. Guy rolls around safe areas in the US and eats his weight in food. Never seen him cook anything...

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
But Guy is the best thing to happen to those small businesses, ever.

Anthony came across as trying too hard to be some beatnik. THough I didn't watch much of his later stuff since CNN turned from a news agency to a entertainment site.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Why? He was a bit quirky but his shows and books were good. Guy rolls around safe areas in the US and eats his weight in food. Never seen him cook anything...

I didn't watch his show much, so maybe I only caught the outliers, but he had some dixie chick style politico rants in some foreign country on the episode I saw. I don't care for late in life tattoo man telling me how the world should work when all I signed up for is watching people eat roadkill.

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
I didn't watch his show much, so maybe I only caught the outliers, but he had some dixie chick style politico rants in some foreign country on the episode I saw. I don't care for late in life tattoo man telling me how the world should work when all I signed up for is watching people eat roadkill.

Fair enough.

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
But Guy is the best thing to happen to those small businesses, ever.

Anthony came across as trying too hard to be some beatnik. THough I didn't watch much of his later stuff since CNN turned from a news agency to a entertainment site.

Did not really think he was other than himself and he did not seem to try to be anyone else. Sure, some things he said were maybe not in agreement with all, but I still liked the different food scene as opposed to some local dives Guy does. Either way, he was a good chef and I did enjoy reading his books; he seemed to be pretty honest about his past experiences. Just my opinion.

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA

While driving cross-country with my daughter, we went to the DDD website to find places that had been featured on the show.
Every single place we tried was boarded up and gone.
The backwards sunglasses and painted hair are very annoying to me, too.

Ballah06 said:
some local dives Guy does
And the name of his program was... ?

Only reason i've ever heard of the dead guy is cuz my daughter used to binge watch food shows, and his ads were attached to some of them.

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
While driving cross-country with my daughter, we went to the DDD website to find places that had been featured on the show.
Every single place we tried was boarded up and gone.
The backwards sunglasses and painted hair are very annoying to me, too.

And the name of his program was... ?

Only reason i've ever heard of the dead guy is cuz my daughter used to binge watch food shows, and his ads were attached to some of them.

You talking about Fieri? It was DDD. Kinda reminded me of that Robert dude who goes 'fixing up' failing restaurants; most are no longer in business of course. Fieri is like a Florida redneck who tries too hard to hype things up.

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
You talking about Fieri? It was DDD. Kinda reminded me of that Robert dude who goes 'fixing up' failing restaurants; most are no longer in business of course. Fieri is like a Florida redneck who tries too hard to hype things up.
Is that what "Flahr-rid-ah" rednecks are like?
Fvck.
The whole sunglasses on the back of the head thing just screams "I'm a douche-nozzle!" to me.

chris snell

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2005
I can't believe we're talking about Bourdain and Fieri in the same thread. Fieri is a hack.